Leeds to Liverpool canal bike ride - Tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jonesjr05

Hello,

Looking for any useful tips and advice for my bike ride from Leeds to Liverpool.

As part of my charity challenge for 2016 I am hoping to complete the ride from Leeds to Liverpool, your advice on the following would be much appreciated.

Can it be completed in one day?

Best training plan for the event? baring in mind I am also competing in a number of other running/cycling events

General tips and advice?

Thank you,

Last edited by a moderator:
How are you on doing 127 miles in a day?

Bearing in mind substantial stretches are ... "rough and/or muddy"?

Personally, I'd plan on 2 days. Hey - but people have done it in one!

david k

Hi
I've done short sections and I really like it but it is very slow, in my experience you would struggle to average near 10mph
So considering a few refreshment breaks if you do manage 9mph average it could take 15 hours

Dave7

Legendary Member
That sounds (as football pundits say) a "big ask" :smile:
I am planning a 100 mile road ride and am nervous over that.
I enjoyed a 50 miler on the TransPenine and that was far enough for me.
Mind you.........I see people on CC planning 100 mile/5 hour rides so it depends on your age/fitness level etc.

OP
OP
J

Jonesjr05

Thanks for the advice I may reconsider the day trip and aim for two days, any BnB recommendations? A number of colleagues have mentioned the risk of falling in, will have my life jacket at the ready!! I am planning on finishing on Friday afternoon/evening and will start recruiting friends!! This is part of my charity challenge consisting of 29 runs/cycles so hopefully will be fit enough.

david k

Hi
Thanks for the advice I may reconsider the day trip and aim for two days, any BnB recommendations? A number of colleagues have mentioned the risk of falling in, will have my life jacket at the ready!! I am planning on finishing on Friday afternoon/evening and will start recruiting friends!! This is part of my charity challenge consisting of 29 runs/cycles so hopefully will be fit enough.
Good luck mate, don't forget to let us know how you get on

MarkF

Guru
I've done it 3 times and ride on it most days (I live a couple of mins from it), as others have said....
  • You'll enjoy it over 2 days.
  • Don't underestimate the wind, start from Liverpool.
  • Do it after a dry period, wet slippy banks with protruding tree roots really slow you down.
  • Try and avoid weekends around Saltaire, it can get very busy and that's a pain. Saltaire itself is worth stopping off for an hour or so.
  • No special training is needed, it's flat with a (probable) tailwind.
I've seen people fall in and it's very funny (for me), but, you have to be doing something pretty stupid to manage it, come on! I mainly use 32mm M+'s and have never had a puncture in 7 years of riding on it.

Last edited:

PaulB

Legendary Member
Due to the number of gates, barriers and bridges, you shouldn't underestimate the effect of the width of your handlebars. They can be a real hindrance frustratingly frequently especially where you get those barriers that narrow towards the top.

clid61

Veteran
ive done it midweek when dry, left liverpool at dawn, arrived in leeds at dusk . During summer , worst bits are wigan locks and Gargrave to skipton, good luck and enjoy !

Top Bottom