Leeds weekend ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JamesM

I can't make a midweek meet, as suggested by Cathryn, but a weekend ride might be a possibility. Would anyone be interested in this route?

Leeds train station to Shipley along the canal (The majority of my commute home, possible stop at Ellis Briggs bike shop and various pubs in Shipley / Saltaire)

On up Hollins Hill, turn right at Menston and follow West Chevin road to Otley (again, possible stop at Chevin Cycles and various pubs)

Up East Chevin Road and on back to Leeds (someone else might be able to suggest the best route for this leg of the journey, I don't know the roads very well)

(I guess people who live en-route could always join up part way round, there may not be many!)

I've roughly put it into Bikely and it looks like about 32 miles with two decent climbs and a nice long decent into Leeds to finish with.

Would people be more interested in a road only route avoiding the rough bits of the canal? I have no experience of group rides so I don't know if this route / distance is a reasonable suggestion. Just thought I'd throw it out there!

colly

Re member eR
I would be ok with that except the towpath bit. Especially at weekends when there may be lots of anglers.

I've been up to Shipley along the towpath and it's a nice run but maybe not for a road bike. My other bike, which would be ok, is in bits just now waiting for me to get my finger out and put it back together again.

I ride out of North Leeds and there are lots of good routes with little traffic and as many hills as you fancy.

My suggestion:
http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=2372

It's about 38 miles with about 2100 ft of climbing.

Could easily made shorter and could also detour into Otley for tea or a drink. Starts and finishes in the car park near Canal Gardens at Rounday Park .

OP
OP
JamesM

JamesM

I wasn't sure about the tow path - as you say, it's no good for road bikes. There's one seriously bumpy stretch and none of it's perfectly smooth. I can see your point about the anglers too. I've been along it twice this week coming home from work on a Specialized Crosstrail Sport which I've had for about two weeks! Shipley train station is right by where this route comes of the canal so that could always be a start point?

I like the look of that route colly. Is there a train station near Rounday Park? Having not done any serious cycling for some time, I don't have much appreciation for how far is feasible on a ride out. I like the idea of cycling to Wetherby.

Would Saturdays or Sundays be better for anyone interested?

colly

Re member eR
There is no train station near Roundhay Park, I think the nearest would be Cross Gates which would be maybe 5 miles away. Possibly even Leeds City Station as well.

38 miles is a fair ride if you haven't been riding for long but I guess that depends on the person. The route I suggested is kind of hilly but none (well not much) of it is leg breaking.

Sat or Sun is ok for me .

Bokonon

Über Member
I'd rather not ride the canal - took me ages to clean my bike afterwards last time I did. I like colly's route - there are some nice roads there. Do we have a proposed date for this?

colly

Re member eR
Anyone up for a forum ride out this Sunday?

Say meet at Lawnswood roundabout around 9 or 10 am. Thinking maybe Bramhope, Menston, over the top to Ilkley..........something like that.

ASC1951

Guru
colly said:
My suggestion:
http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=2372

It's about 38 miles with about 2100 ft of climbing.
Cracking route, Colly, and the bit through Sicklinghall to Wetherby is one of my local favourites. As a variation to yours, I often then cross the river at Linton, take the steep little back road just NE of Collingham and come back in along the high ground and through Thorner.

I assume I missed the outing, if it's happening?

colly

Re member eR
ASC1951 said:
Cracking route, Colly, and the bit through Sicklinghall to Wetherby is one of my local favourites. As a variation to yours, I often then cross the river at Linton, take the steep little back road just NE of Collingham and come back in along the high ground and through Thorner.

I assume I missed the outing, if it's happening?

That route I posted I usually do going anti clockwise going through East Keswick first but last weekend I did a variation on it going the other way as you suggest and did climb up out of Collingham and get home via Thorner. Either way it's a nice ride.

The weekend of the 16th I did turn up at Lawnswood at 10am but seeing as no-one had posted they might be along I wasn't really expecting company. I did a nice route through Menston , Ilkley and Otley anyway:

[FONT=&quot]www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=2500[/FONT]

I may have seen you out and about if you use these roads.

colly

Re member eR
marinyork said:
That's an even nicer route :blush:

;):biggrin::biggrin: There are just so many around here.

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;(in North Leeds)
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,(in North Leeds)

ASC1951

Guru
colly said:
I may have seen you out and about if you use these roads.
You might well have. Obstinate old gimmer with no helmet, on a small ti frame with all the decals carefully removed.

I have a regular route like your second one, which after Otley goes on the back road to Ilkley, over Addingham Moorside past Nudge Hill and Brunthwaite Crag, then the two climbs at Howden Park and East Morton, then to Menston past Dick Hudsons (looking out for the speeding chavs out from Keighley in their Subarus).

Those two climbs are personal test pieces. If I start wobbling all over the road I have to lay off the black puddings for a while.

Top Bottom