80 km (50 mile) ride from Hebden Bridge, Sat, 27th April, 2024

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dadam

I'm still on for tomorrow. I will be on the Orbea e-road bike. The carbon Roubaix needs a fettle before I take it on a long ride. Brakes are a little stiff and shifting needs adjusting. Also it's got no mudguards and it's going to be a dedicated nice weather bike.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes, it was a nice ride. And it WAS chilly in that wind. I kept my second jersey on well into the ride.

@Buck's back went into spasm after he put a foot down to wait for me at the top of the steep climb at Blake Dean. He managed to limp round as far as Blackshaw Head but then did the sensible thing and headed off down Mytholm Steeps, the shortest way back to Hebden Bridge.

@Dadam and I then headed off to do the second half of the ride. We got chilled by the headwind on the long climb to Blackstone Edge and time was getting on so we decided to take a shortcut to Craggies rather than going the longer way planned.

We had a couple of coffees each and tasty snacks, while enjoying the warmth of the cafe.

A quick ride back to Hebden Bridge where I said goodbye to @Dadam, and then I rode back to Todmorden on the valley road.

I was feeling cold, and rain threatened. The shortcut earlier had left me with another 12 km to do for my metric century and I couldn't face doing it!

Still, I got 88 km in, which is well over half an imperial century, which is ok. About 1,600 m (5,200 ft) of ascent in total, so definitely pretty lumpy!

Dadam

@ColinJ I just cracked a bottle of ale open to have with our curry tonight and it's from the brewery you were telling me about; next to Craggies! I've had lots of Little Valley beers over the years.

IMG_1222.jpeg

IMG_1224.jpeg

Dadam

Didn't really think to take photos on the ride, a bit too cold to stand and admire the scenery. I only took these:

Todmorden turnpike road toll house:

IMG_1219.jpeg

The world's largest pothole, where Colin tells me he took some wicked air! (not on this ride thankfully)
IMG_1220.jpeg

I only used 45% battery, only turning the motor on for some of the climbs
1714253037546.png

Buck

Guru
thanks @ColinJ and @Dadam.

Yes, an unfortunate and untimely back problem meant it would have been unwise to continue but nonetheless nearly 25 miles of hills and thrills and the weather whilst cold was mainly dry and sometimes sunny!

Hopefully the back will heal quickly and I wont be hobbling around in discomfort for much longer!

Top Bottom