Leeds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Calum

Heya,

I've just started University in Leeds. I've been into road biking for a few years now and want to carry on with it while i'm at uni.

I've been googling away and have been surprised at the number of clubs there are in and around Leeds. Anyone on here a member of and/or had any experience with a Leeds based club?

Many thanks!:biggrin:

P.S, for the older forumers, i've been on here and the old C+ forum under the name of 'Norv' in the past. Never did quite get rid of me!;)

postman

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome.I reckon once you have tasted the delights of Leeds on a friday night with your new mates.You will not want to go cycling.Sorry to say i think Leeds section of the CTC has folded due to lack of members.There was a mention of us Leeds chatters meeting up but that has gone quiet.My lot are 50 and over we may be a little too slow for you.We also like plenty of cafe stops.But you are well placed now for the Dales and York when you go out on your own.But it is better with company.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
It HAS gone quiet...but it shouldn't have!! Let's do it!! I shall start a thread!

Welcome to Leeds, Calum!! It's a good city...but it has fab cycling all around it. Watch out for the potholes though. Leeds roads are apparently the second worst in the country. Definitely feels like that sometimes.

I'm not a member of a club (too slow) but if you want advice on any nice routes in and out the city, let us know on here. And I'll try sorting a night out.

postman

Legendary Member
Roads to avoid.First part of Shadwell lane coming away fro Marks and Spencers.And the bit past Mones quarry at Bramhope.Nightmares what with considerate drivers.How long are you in Leeds for.We could arrange to take you out.That sounds bad.For a tour i mean.

OP
OP
C

Calum

Hehe, i've learnt the hard way about Leeds potholes. I'm living on Burley Road, which is a bit of a bone shaker on a racey type bike!
I'm up for a meeting up with forumers if any are interested.

Keep the replies coming!

Bokonon

Über Member
I guess a suitable club is dependent on what kind of riding you want to do. Yorkshire Road Club is probably the big one for more competitive riding - I know a couple of their riders through work/time trialling. Seacroft Wheelers seem to be the big one for catering for a wide range of interests. You'll see plenty of members from both out on the roads. As Postman says, CTC doesn't seem to be active in Leeds but there are groups further north (Wetherby, Harrogate) and again, you'll see their presence on the roads north of Leeds.

I have considered joining a cycle club in Leeds but I'm just too lazy - I tend to still be in bed at the weekend when group rides are setting off. Maybe a more informal Leeds chapter of Cycle Chat would be a good idea?

BTW, which of Leed's fine educational establishments are you studying at?

OP
OP
C

Calum

Hi Bokonon,

I'm at Leeds Metropolitan, studying History and Politics. - Seems to be going well so far, although I haven't been set my first assignment yet, so things could change...

Maybe i'll post this up on the cyclechat cafe page aswell, although that's probably over-kill!

Bokonon

Über Member
Good luck with the course when they start giving you work to do! I might see you around, though I rarely have cause to venture onto the 3rd floor of H building.

OP
OP
C

Calum

How do you know about the buildings?!! You're not my 'History on film' lecturer are you?! ;)
H block is grim isn't it? The way I see it, any building that sounds like a department of Auschwitz, has some issues... :biggrin:
If you see a shorter guy with glasses, that looks a bit too young to be at uni, that's me. :sad:

Bokonon

Über Member
H building is more structurally sound than F building. My favourite feature is having the main entrance on the second floor, additional entrances on the first floor and the inability to get into the building on the ground floor.

I'm a tall hairy guy who will be wearing a pink hoody when the weather gets colder.

OP
OP
C

Calum

HAHA! Yeah I know what you mean! That confused the hell out of me on the first week. Are you student at the Met? If so, what's your course?

andyfromotley

otley has a big club bu i see a lot of very fast gangs coming down the chevin on a weekend so i think theres bound to be something for you. Could i suggest that you ask in chevin cycles. the guys in there know whats going on and will no doubt be able to put you in touch with people who are of similar ability.

BTW i'm not jealous of many people but oh to be 18 and starting at leeds uni!!

colly

Re member eR
Leeds roads are the second worst in the country???.........and here I was thinking it was just my rubbish bike handling that was causing me to fall off all the time.
I'm not a member of a club although I have been cycling on and off for 15 years or so. I sometimes think it would be nice to join but somehow never quite get round to it.

Would be up for some rides with some forumers though.

OP
OP
C

Calum

Yeah I think a forum ride would be a great idea. I'm not really the best person to be arranging these sorta things, considering i've only been living in the city a few weeks! I was supposed to be riding to Harrogate this morning (Dad gave me an OS map), but err... last night.....
So i've spend all day in bed listening to the Smiths instead.

Top Bottom