Leg conditioning , paying off !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
I'm a little confused by some parts of that article, it has to be said.

Ok, fine for core work and conditioning the body in ways that can't be achieved on a bike. Ok, agree with that, but using weights (and heavy weights with low reps at that) to improve both power and endurance just seems a little weird to me. And without any increase in muscle mass! Any self respecting body builder would be crying into his/her whey protein supplement at the thought that squating large weights wasn't going to lead to a gain in muscle bulk!

As a cyclist, why not just do large geared intervals to increase power and variations thereof; specificallity being the key.

Might be fine and dandy for so called experts and pro cyclists who have almost unlimited amounts of time to play around with the latest fads, for the rest of us, who almost certainly fall into the 'time crunched cyclist' bracket, more time spent on the bike is nearly always going to be the best way to improve your cycling.

Take away my 5-6 hours a week in the gym and send me out climbing hills on a bike instead and, guess what, I'd become better at climbing hills.

huwsparky

Über Member
Might be fine and dandy for so called experts and pro cyclists who have almost unlimited amounts of time to play around with the latest fads, for the rest of us, who almost certainly fall into the 'time crunched cyclist' bracket, more time spent on the bike is nearly always going to be the best way to improve your cycling.

Take away my 5-6 hours a week in the gym and send me out climbing hills on a bike instead and, guess what, I'd become better at climbing hills.

This is exactly how I look at it from my perspective. I have 6 hours a week to go cycling (or to myself in general) give or take. Can't see how spending, say two of those in the gym is going to improve my cycling more than cycling itself. Just doesn't make sense and isn't true, it can't be.

ayceejay

Guru
This is exactly how I look at it from my perspective. I have 6 hours a week to go cycling (or to myself in general) give or take. Can't see how spending, say two of those in the gym is going to improve my cycling more than cycling itself. Just doesn't make sense and isn't true, it can't be.

What you say is totally correct huw. What should be made clear by anyone asking a question regarding improving cycling performance is what the goals are and why. Your situation is probably not the same as the OP's so your motivations are different too. "I have lost a certain amount of muscle in my legs and I think this interferes with my climbing ability" is a totally different scenario than the one you describe. Both situations are equally valid as long as we know what is being discussed.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
I have just read an article in this weeks CW pg 46 , written by a person named Rafik Tahraoul , (I am not sure who he is , ) according to him strength training in a gymnasium is beneficial to cyclists , or have I read it incorrectly ?

Last edited:

Citius

I have just read an article in this weeks CW pg 46 , written by a person named Rafik Tahraoul , (I am not sure who he is , ) according to him strength training is beneficial to cyclists , or have I read it incorrectly ?

No, you read it correctly. Unfortunately, the article is a shocking load of unsubstantiated, belief-based nonsense :smile:

Citius

CW articles are mainly just click bait these days, but that particular article was shameful, even for them. By all means write to him and ask him where the evidence was...

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
OT a bit but I've long wondered what endurance training does to my muscles. I've wondered this about both distance running and cycling.

If I were to ride a hilly 100 miler now my legs would be well sore tomorrow what with reduced winter riding and all. But come August, with more miles ridden I'll be fine.

So does something physical happen to toughen my muscles up? Or is it all down to efficient energy use and biochemical wotnot?

( Yes I am carrying some extra winter weight, but not much)

Citius

Didn't you just answer your own question there?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
No, that was the question, not the answer. What physical effect are those extra miles having?

Its not leg strength, I don't get bigger muscles and I doubt I could squat more or whatever it is. Its not cardio, only. I don't ride fast, and I only end up blowing hard on big hills. So what is it physically that endurance training gives that enables muscles to keep going for longer and recover more quickly? Is it purely training the metabolism to be more efficient, our is there some physical toughening, akin to strength, in the muscles?

Just curious that's all.

ayceejay

Guru
Brian Mac lists four types of endurance - aerobic - anaerobic - speed, and strength, aerobic endurance being the base for all athletic endeavour and there are specific training techniques for each. I think an improvement in all areas would assist in cycling performance at the highest level Probably all of these areas improves from just doing the activity (running cycling swimming etc) but something other would help with overall fitness.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
I contacted the Cycling Weekly team re the article I read , re fitness training etc ,I'd say that the author knows his stuff ,
here is the reply .......

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your email to Cycling Weekly.

I can assure you that the author, Rafik Tahraoui, included only information supported by credible evidence. He is a Team GB athelete and sports scientist with MSc, Bsc (Hons) and ASCC qualifications.

If you have any specific questions, I'm sure Rafik be happy to answer them:
www.teamnolimits.co.uk/

Globalti

Legendary Member
So last night we went out and rode as fast as we possibly could for an hour. I know I reached my ceiling as I simply could not go any faster unless I was gasping on my faster buddy's wheel.

So I can only conclude that the only way to become faster is to build more muscle, which will enable me to pull a higher gear. However I'm not sure my cardio-vascular system will support the extra oxygen requirement as this morning my lungs are still "disturbed" by the effort.

Top Bottom