legal rim depth for road racing...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr-marty-martin

hi, im going to be getting some deep section wheels for next season...

i was going to get something like 50's but im now thinking about something deeper, as the youth races are alot of the time flat out top end speed sprints, at a stupidly high cadence...

i think 80's are legal?

OP
OP
M

mr-marty-martin

so whats the legal limit?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Check British Cycling's web site then......

Don't forget unless the deep wheels are also light, they won't be as good as a normal light weight set of non-deep wheels for sprinting.

OP
OP
M

mr-marty-martin

when you endup spinning out anyways they will be, as they'll hold speed and roll fast...

and beore i posted this ive looked on the bc site and cant seem to find anything

Will1985

Über Member
I'm reliably informed by a clubmate (who learned from first hand experience) that you'll get laughed at if you turn up with 808s or similar as they'll just think you're a Cav wannabe or have more money than sense.

I think technically the limit is probably 80mm, but no point having more than 50. On the other hand, crash them and you've lost a rather nice carbon wheel.

The UCI approved list is very out of date. Not sure if youths have a different set of regulations.

OP
OP
M

mr-marty-martin

riders were usin 808's yesterday so a think there fine, think i'll go for somin like 60's

laughed at, defantly not, they jst think you no what our doing as flat crits your at high speeds, deeper wheels help you keep that speed and roll faster when the spinning out starts...

Ben M

mr-marty-martin said:

he ws refrin 2 u typin lyk dis.

It's incredibly annoying.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
OK...Will hit the nail there....I was being polite.......

Get some tough wheels, light'ish etc....in road racing the deep rims mean nothing...really, unless you plan TT'ing on a flat course to the finish after you drop the bunch....

I have some deep Rims (HED Jet's - maybe 50mm deep) from when I TT'ed - I would never recommend using them doing crits and stuff.... not really where they are needed.

Don't watch the pro's - see what the guys on the road are racing with...UK races are a bit different - short sharp hills, twisty circuits....fast wheels are the must.....

I'll tell you this, deep rims are hard work even in a TT if it's windy...oh yes...the UK is quite windy all the time.

I'd often drop the deep rims if TT'ing if it was windy....

If thinking of 'blinging your ride' with deep wheels for non race use....don't.... especially if you live in windy areas...

Top Bottom