England : Surrey Legs of Lead Go West 120km POSTPONED

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Date: Sat 19 January 2013
Time: 08:00
Muster Point: The bike sheds at Gatwick on NCN21 (via the Ticket Hall and Goods Lift)
Distance: 120kms all in from start to finish.
Climbing 1750m-ish give or take
Weather: Dry or light rain but not frost or freezing or biblical precipitation. Norwegian rules apply.
Elevenses: Peaslake
Lunch: Shere
Post ride carbs: Norwood Hill - The Fox Revived.
Rail Bails: Holmwood, Chilworth, Gomshall, Boxhill & Westhumble, Dorking (3 stations no less spoilt wotsits) and Betchworth
Demob Point: Ticket Hall Gatwick Airport Station

Broadly following the route of the infamous Surrey Hills Legs of Steel a winter day-ride 'mini-tour' of the Surrey Hills for the less racy rider. At a conversational pace (about 20kph moving average). A fair few single chevrons and at least one double. Lovely views. Some Audi's. Some swearing. Probably. By me anyway.

Route more or less here (Opens fine as is in bikehike but may need to have suffix changed to .gpx if you download it as a .txt file for use in another route planner)

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
surrey_lead.jpg

rb58

Enigma
Yes please Greg. However, I shall peel off at the top off Boxhill and enjoy the run down the Chipstead Valley to Coulsden rather than returning to Gatwick.

Tim Hall

Clockwise or anti?
African or European?

Looking at the relative positions of Shere, Peaslake and Norwood Hiil, I'd say clockwise.

JohnKilbey

Regular
I'd love to join you if the date changes for weather or other reasons. As it stands I shall have to wave you off from Gatwick on my way to a week's skiing.

Tim Hall

I read the date as 19th June and thought (a) that's my sister's birthday and (b) Blimey Greg,that's some forward planning you've got going on. Anyway, 19th Jan looks entirely possible. Good choice for the post ride rehydration stop.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Can an admin please change the date in the title to "postponed"

I've just been invited to the memorial service of a former boss who died unexpectedly just before Xtmas and I would like to attend.

Apologies to all, will reschedule in Feb if possible.

gbs

Guru
I will look out for your new date. That looks like a good day out even though Coombe Bottom immediately follows lunch!

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Postponement turns out to have been a good call even without other commitments - I came away from a very snowy Guildford at lunchtime to beat the worst of the weather. My offer still stands subject to date.

Top Bottom