lessons learnt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
What mistakes have you learnt from riding through town (yours or other folks) and how would you deal differently with them now that you have the benefit of knowing better.

Includes dealing with conflict, mechanicals and skills.

Come on, fess up!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
When riding down a steep hill strewn with a layer of wet leaves, don't just think "Hmm ... this looks dangerous, I should be careful". Try actually being careful too.

Clean your drivetrain in winter. Really, really thoroughly. Otherwise it will become unusable terrifyingly quickly. And expensively. It's not the 1980s any more.

Lessons learnt?

In over 12 years of driving I have never hit anything, or caused another vehicle to emergency stop. Yet just the other week, nearly hit a cyclist by pulling in front of him. I looked but did not SEE.

I learned, that no matter how careful we are, we are human and make mistakes. And that every junction in a car, you really do need to take an extra 30 seconds to check for the stuff that is so easily missed.

With regards to cycling, I have learned that ignoring dilberts in cars instead of shouting leads to me having far less stress, and dwelling on idiots for much less time :smile:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
While shouting WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :biggrin:
More like WEEEEE -- AAARGH! OW! OW! OW!

(A side note. I came to rest along with my bike, complete with pringled back wheel, in front of a Landrover coming up the hill. By pure chance i) the driver was a nice chap ii) He was going very near my home iii) His Landrover was prepped to help someone move house, so had loads of space for a manky bike. Result!)

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Just because the road up the hill has been gritted when it's icy, doesn't mean the road down the hill has been as well :B)

Downhill off Sutton Bank in Yorkshire at 50mph means you can't take the RH bend successfully :B)

Just because the kids in front of you can do a jump with a 5 foot drop at 25-30mph doesn't mean you can :B)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just because the road up the hill has been gritted when it's icy, doesn't mean the road down the hill has been as well :B)

Downhill off Sutton Bank in Yorkshire at 50mph means you can't take the RH bend successfully :B)

Just because the kids in front of you can do a jump with a 5 foot drop at 25-30mph doesn't mean you can :B)

5 foot drop. no bloody wonder. Tisk tisk.

KneesUp

Guru
If - say - it's winter, and your brother has left his mountain bike in the garage while he is at university, and - say - you borrow it because it has big grippy tyres and your bike has 25c road tyres on - you will still fall off it if you turn right into your own road across a frozen puddle. This would undoubtedly be made more certain if you were trying to skid it in the loose gravel (we had rubbish roads even then), but the effects would be lessened if you were returning from the pub.

Your brother will probably notice the scratches on the paint.

Other things.

If you attach something to your bike or rack and think 'that looks a bit dodgy but it will stay on, I'm not going far', it will fall off.

75% of motorists would rather get to stop in a queue at the traffic lights a few seconds sooner rather than allow you enough room

If you notice a nut being loose, it will fall off before you get home.

Don't go to the front of a queue at traffic lights unless there is an advanced stop line. The front driver will invariably not see you and try and cut across you. Go between the first and second vehicle (assuming the second vehicle isn't a lorry, as the driver won't see you at all)

On that note - lorries have larger blindspots than you can imagine. It's best to assume the driver cannot see you, and will never see you, and act accordingly. In a fight between a 10 tonne lorry and you on a bike, there is one winner regardless of who is obeying the Highway Code.

Pedestrians think shared use bicycle/pedestrian lanes are funny coloured pavements and will wander all over them. If it is marked out as bikes one side and pedestrians the other, more than half the pedestrians will be on the bike side.

Taxi drivers don't care about anyone else

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Don't be polite to motorist's, Yesterday while riding back into Enfield a woman driver passed really close, a little way down the road she had to stop for traffic. I rode up to her car, gently tapped on her window and asked her to wind her window down, The woman was late 40s Indian origin the car was covered with religious stickers and beads. I politely said it would be nice if you gave cyclist a bit more space when you over take them. She said sorry, i went to pull away from the side of her car, She then pulled away without giving me any room, She then shouted out i'll get you next time. I then let loose with a barrage of abuse as she sped of. So next time don't expect a mr nice guy approach from me:wacko:
I have a witness to this who said to me afterwards, i could not believe i was so polite when i first spoke to the woman.

pablo666

Über Member
Not to use the idea of disconnecting brake cables when leaving bike outside a shop as a crude anti-theft idea. (I could chase and catch them when they fall off at the first junction). I discovered the downside when leaving the shop and cycling down the hill to a t junction! I'd forgotten to replace cables! That was a sweaty moment!

Top Bottom