Let me see your Ti MTB... buttery goodness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lmow20

If it ain't titanium, it's not that cool.
Well hello good people of cycle chat.

I'm a ti roadie and just bought a ti MTB hardtail frame. Looking for inspiration as to parts and themes for the build.

Show me ya stuff!

14524520539_f790e1bb49_n.jpg

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Congrats on the purchase, you'll love it. Mine is a Global TH1.5, which was sold for a few years by Ride On Cycles in Rawtenstall. It has the same characteristics of smooth ride, especially when fitted with a rigid eXotic carbon fork and a carbon seatpost, which compliment the frame very well. This bike is a bit of a "grandfather's axe" having changed and evolved over the years. When I first rode the frame, it was on a test bike from the shop built up with quite burly forks, good brakes and wide bars, which made for a bike that felt especially good on steep downhill stuff and which you could endo with confidence. Mine has evolved into more of an XC style with flat bars, original Hope minis, Suntour XC Pro thumbies (yes they can work with Hope brakes) and that fork. It's fast, light and smooth and you really don't notice the lack of suspension unless you bang down a kerb or a step. That stem was not one of Ride On's finest designs; having only a single clamp bolt for the bars it creaked like a good 'un so I replaced it with a shorter alloy jobbie.

It's a good bike for seven hour trailquests, for shouldering up mountains and for fast sprinty XC riding. After doing the High Street-Ullswater circuit on this with some riders on heavy FS bikes I had very considerably more left in the tank at the end of the day than they did! It's not fantastic on rocky downhill stuff though as you would expect.

P1060324.jpg

OP
OP
lmow20

lmow20

Nice one! The bike looks lovely. I must confess I've never ridden on ridgid forks offroad (apart from my old 12 speed in Africa as a child.)

I'm going to build mine as a 120mm HT since I have no idea what sort of off-roading I'll prefer. Obviously if I get into some heavy DH stuff I'll try a 150mm or venture into a Full sus bike.

I suppose rigid forks would be useful on dust roads etc which I will be doing a fair bit of. How long have you had yours?

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've had the bike for ten or more years and those forks have been on it for the last three or four. It had some second hand SIDs on it then some new Rebas, which were horribly heavy and leaked oil from the top cap. I sent the Rebas back fro repair and fitted the eXotics, liked them so much that when the Rebas came back I just sold them on Ebay. Carbon forks are so smooth-riding that on anything but really big rocky stuff you don't miss suspension. It's a pity you're not nearer or you could have a test ride.

OP
OP
lmow20

lmow20

Ha, yeah. So I've finished the build. Not exactly what I had imagined - had to scrimp on some cheap components until I can afford to upgrade the stem, bars and seatpost.

14720172969_0b483c4f28_b.jpg

Top Bottom