Let's Talk About Brakes ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

Yes really. What do you think your kinetic energy is turned into? Avid is excellent for turning it into noise but the rest of the manufacturers make it go into heat.
Yes but my brake power fades a lot after one solid brake ??

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Stop poncing about, XT all the way. I'm running them on two bikes and have used the 2 yr warranty once when the front caliper on my hybrid commuter started weeping. Apart from that they just work, and work,and work, and..... You get the idea!
The rear brake on my commuter has done over 15,000 miles of neglected use in all conditions including heavily gritted winter roads but is still running sweet. Not so much as a bleed, just occasional pads when the metal backing plates start grinding on the disc :blush:
Now running a third set, the R785 road version of the XT caliper and these seem equally as powerful but possibly more sensitive to contamination (or perhaps because they don't really get muddy they just don't get scrubbed up from time to time?) in my experience.

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

Stop poncing about, XT all the way. I'm running them on two bikes and have used the 2 yr warranty once when the front caliper on my hybrid commuter started weeping. Apart from that they just work, and work,and work, and..... You get the idea!
The rear brake on my commuter has done over 15,000 miles of neglected use in all conditions including heavily gritted winter roads but is still running sweet. Not so much as a bleed, just occasional pads when the metal backing plates start grinding on the disc :blush:
Now running a third set, the R785 road version of the XT caliper and these seem equally as powerful but possibly more sensitive to contamination (or perhaps because they don't really get muddy they just don't get scrubbed up from time to time?) in my experience.
Poncing ?

Levo-Lon

Guru
I have sram guide R superb
I'll have hope when the guide brakes need changing..tho it will probably be a new bike before they wear out.
Im not a big fan of the shimano brakes but that's my own view, they are superb but i dont like the feel. Or look if im honest. But slx is the wise choice for the smart buy.

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

I have sram guide R superb
I'll have hope when the guide brakes need changing..tho it will probably be a new bike before they wear out.
Im not a big fan of the shimano brakes but that's my own view, they are superb but i dont like the feel. Or look if im honest. But slx is the wise choice for the smart buy.
I've had SRAM Guide before, lever feel is much better than shimano in my opinion !

Then hopes lever feel is better again !

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

English vernacular. Poncing, or mincing in military vernacular = messing, faffing, joking, dawdling, and generally doing anything except the job in hand.
Oh, how does that fit contextually to the conversation ?

Cubist

Still wavin'
Oh, how does that fit contextually to the conversation ?
Unless I missed Skolly's point, I think he meant failing to resist the irresistible draw to Hope's bejewelled bling.

You'll have to excuse his way with words; , Northerner and all that. :whistle:

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

Unless I missed Skolly's point, I think he meant failing to resist the irresistible draw to Hope's bejewelled bling.

You'll have to excuse his way with words; , Northerner and all that. :whistle:
I'm from Newcastle myself !!

And in response ... I can't resist the bling ?!!!!!

Jody

Stubborn git
Yes but my brake power fades a lot after one solid brake ??

If your brakes genuinely lose power after one stop then there is something wrong. Take them back to the shop if they are three months old. But i don't see a reason for them to lose power if working on the initial bite other than dragging them.

I get the feeling you just want Hope brakes. If so just swap the brakes and put something else on.

Drago

Legendary Member
Hope brakes drove me to Basil Fawltyesque levels of violence towards my bicycles. In order to retain some sanity and avoid a prison sentence i ditched them for Shimano and I've been quietly happy ever since.

Sexy they are not. Discretely effective and reliable (as hydro cycle brakes ever get) they are.

Poncing ?

Yes poncing. As in:

I've had SRAM Guide before, lever feel is much better than shimano in my opinion !

and...

Then hopes lever feel is better again !

and...

Potentially looking for a change to Hope !!

and...
I do have respect for Shimano and they're reasonable prices but can't quite get over the beauty, quality and Made in England-ness of them [Hope]

Last edited:
Top Bottom