Lets try and get the Media working for us!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I've posted this on the CTC forum, and will do so on the 'radar if it hasnt already been done by someone else.

After the cock up the Beeb made by allowing Adam Rayner on the recent peice that SHOULD have been about cyclists and the failures in justice, and how these people were not breaking any damn laws, I think we need to target the media.

We need to get them to avoid the motorist-cyclist debates of late and get them to make some kind of short film that covers the following:

- a short tribute to Lewis
- inteviews with the families and cyclists left to pick up the peices
- a small section on typical punishments of drivers proved at fault and guilty in court (as we know £200 fine and 3 points is average)
- inteviews with leading road safety campaigners, the CTC, Roadpeace and Brake
- raise awareness with drivers that we dont hate them, this is about the bad drivers who affect us all.

bbcbreakfast@bbc.co.uk news@itn.co.uk news@sky.com anyone else you can think of...

Cheers!

pshore

Given another high profile death it is definitely worth the effort. I am going to try and write something to these sources.

In the meantime .....

There is also:
Panorama (Have you got a story for Panorama ? -> panorama.reply@bbc.co.uk
The Tonight Show (Have you got a story ? -> tonight@itv.com)

Additionally, the next Question Time (27th) is hosted in Cambridge, one of the Cycling Demonstration Towns. I might punt something off to the cycle campaign to see if they would like to field a question given that the program often debates something recently in the news.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Given another high profile death it is definitely worth the effort. I am going to try and write something to these sources.

In the meantime .....

There is also:
Panorama (Have you got a story for Panorama ? -> panorama.reply@bbc.co.uk
The Tonight Show (Have you got a story ? -> tonight@itv.com)

Additionally, the next Question Time (27th) is hosted in Cambridge, one of the Cycling Demonstration Towns. I might punt something off to the cycle campaign to see if they would like to field a question given that the program often debates something recently in the news.

Good idea. I have contacted both of those in the past, also. I'd forgotten this time around. QT is also a great idea. I'll have a look into that too.

Obviously I feel the more voices on this the better.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
There are also many cycling celebs, S'rallan Sugar is a keen roadie, I'm sure we could generate a list of those who migh help the cause. The PM, Boris, Mandy and the newsreader bloke all ride.

This is where the CTC fail. They should be rattling sabres on our behalves but end-up toothless tigers.

snorri

Legendary Member
This is where the CTC fail. They should be rattling sabres on our behalves but end-up toothless tigers.
That will be the membership of the CTC you are referring to?
Although CTC membership surveys indicate strong support for campaigning issues, when it comes to action in the field, membership apathy is the order of the day.:sad:

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
There are also many cycling celebs, S'rallan Sugar is a keen roadie, I'm sure we could generate a list of those who migh help the cause. The PM, Boris, Mandy and the newsreader bloke all ride.

They have been better of late, but their voice is still small. This is why we must rattle some sabres ourselves imvho. Jon Snow is President of the CTC and a Channel 4 news journalist.

I think the CTC could join forces with the many campaign groups, BC and the road safety charities. Author a letter of "protest" urging reform that will lead to guidence to the justice system, and changes in infrastructure that will lead to more cyclists and safer cycling. Send this letter to both the PM and have it printed in the press as an open letter.

The trouble is we're currently just getting mealy mouthed "we're commited to cycling" from a sucession of government.

Top Bottom