Letter to Theresa May from Olympic Cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EnPassant

Remember Remember some date in November Member
The 10% of that being spent on the Cycle Super Highway in Leeds would certainly have been better spent on beer. Or perhaps a lot of it was spent on beer at the planning stage? (Completion date Dec '15 and still nowhere near finished...)

Gloucester the same mostly, council planners Friday night special one assumes.
A couple of miles of this each way on the Bristol Road. Anybody fancy a door in the face? And I know this isn't even close to being an isolated instance, there's probably a thread somewhere.....
Even so, if there are no campaigns to improve it, it definitely won't get fixed.

Bristol_Road.jpg

It is marginal gains - if enough people keep saying it - the politicians will realise there is votes to be had - then eventually it will happen - as it did in the country I have been in last week and the one my bum is planted on now

What a bloody load of grumps.

Our most successful olympic team write to the government, and all you lot can say is "not going to happen"? As anyone who has been to London knows, there's been an absolute transformation in cycling in London over the last 5 or 10 years, alongside a complete transformation in infrastructure - paint, signage, segregated lanes, bikes for hire, a massive increase in the number of cyclists, a complete transformation in driver attitude, a normalisation of cycling as a way of getting around and, very importantly, a transformation in the attitude of politicians. That normalisation in London is quickly leaking out to London's hinterland - I've written on here before about the sea-change I'm seeing in the home counties.

I've said it before, but it bears repeating. In London 20 years ago I was a complete eccentric for being a bike rider and not a courier. I'm now part of the mainstream. In Buckinghamshire and Surrey 5 years ago I was a complete eccentric for being a commuting bike rider. I'm now part of a rapidly growing band of early adopters.

The same is no doubt true, with different timescales, in dozens of towns and cities around the country.

Yeah sorry guys for the negative one liner.
It's purely political,as I have no faith in TM delivering much

doog

All sorted down our way

Not sure what the fuss is about

Sustrans worked with Hampshire County and Test Valley Borough Councils to develop a cycle and pedestrian path alongside the A3057 and A30 main roads in Stockbridge. The path links to existing sections of route to create a continuous and safe journey along the Test Way.

P1050047.JPG

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I think it's local councils rather than central government that make things like a town/city cycling infrastructure happen... of course central government can encourage local councils with extra funding, but time would be better spent lobbying your local MPs than writing to the PM.

jarlrmai

Veteran
I'm glad we don't have painted cycle lanes around here.

Top Bottom