lille to heninel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

damj

Its almost 100 years (Oct 2017) when my great grandfather was killed during the battle of Arras. Sadly as far as I know no one from my family has visited his grave, a small cemetery near the village of heninel, northern France. I've been pondering a visit for a number of years with the family, However, justification for such a great distance/expense takes a little explaining. Throwing in a euro Disney visit doesn't wash anymore post Paris atrocities.
So my new plan looks more like this, on my own, two days max, cheap as possible, travel by Eurostar? Ferry Tvr with bike to Lille, then cycle the 30 odd miles to heninel. Then back. Sounds easy, but I've never done anything like this in my life..
Anyone done similar journey, obviously I need to get planning, but I'm worried about the language barriers, riding on the 'wrong side' to name a few.. Any thoughts tips gratefully received.
David

No big deal - Ferry to Calais - Local Train Calais to Lille - Then as per - cycle to Heninel - Stay overnight Arras - no worries about language et.al.

Couple of questions;
Where are you starting from?
Could you make it three days and cycle from Calais or Dunkirk (160'ish miles round trip)?
When?
Could you camp?
I reckon you could do the whole trip (excluding getting to Dover) for well under a hundred quid if your budget is tight.

OP
OP
damj

damj

No big deal - Ferry to Calais - Local Train Calais to Lille - Then as per - cycle to Heninel - Stay overnight Arras - no worries about language et.al.

Just what I need, short practical just got to go for it.

OP
OP
damj

damj

Couple of questions;
Where are you starting from?
Could you make it three days and cycle from Calais or Dunkirk (160'ish miles round trip)?
When?
Could you camp?
I reckon you could do the whole trip (excluding getting to Dover) for well under a hundred quid if your budget is tight.

Travel from Darlington (rail) kings cross. Yes camping would be fine, still a novice in terms of miles on the bike, but doable. Little while off yet, possibly even for the anniversary next year.
Cheers

Top Bottom