Linksys routers and stuff, anyone got one.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looking at the Linksys range, particularly at the dual frequency n standard wireless ones.

When we move house the Netgear I have now will be retired as the range is bad and it has a few issues. So I am looking for a router and extender and one which will serve a wireless MP3 player attached to an amp and I will hang a hard disk off it to act as a media centre. Might also hang a wireless webcam off it, security wise.

So far Linksys seem to be ahead in this respect, especially the dual frequency router. On paper is all very well, just wondering if anyone has got any real world experience of them, especially the newer ones?

OP
OP
C

Crackle

No one done anything like this then. Do I actually have to go off and search the internet for info. ? ;)

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Uncle Mort said:
Oh dear. You might even have to read the f***ing manual ;)

You see I have ;) I've digested the Linksys site but there aren't too many independent reviews and none at all on their music stuff (however that may be out of my price range).

Yello is right - Google, Google and more Google.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Crackle, my stuff is too old to be technically relevant to you, but it is Linksys. We're talking over 5 years on the same router and wireless access point. Have never had a fault and still going strong. I'm almost expecting them to fail now, doesn't seem right something lasting that long in computing/networking!

ACS

Legendary Member
Dave5N said:
My linksys router needs to be turned on and off everyhour or so. It's rubbish, frankly.

May I suggest you look at a firmware update. The web site with provide instruction on how to. You may have a glitch in your present version.

ACS

Legendary Member
Crackle said:
Looking at the Linksys range, particularly at the dual frequency n standard wireless ones.

When we move house the Netgear I have now will be retired as the range is bad and it has a few issues. So I am looking for a router and extender and one which will serve a wireless MP3 player attached to an amp and I will hang a hard disk off it to act as a media centre. Might also hang a wireless webcam off it, security wise.

So far Linksys seem to be ahead in this respect, especially the dual frequency router. On paper is all very well, just wondering if anyone has got any real world experience of them, especially the newer ones?

If you are looking to use a router with a repeater unit to extend range I can recommend a 3Com unit with Wireless Distribution System (WDS). This makes connecting a wireless access point to the router easy provides a reliable and stable connection I have used this system mainly in old houses with thick internal wall (old farm houses) and I have never been called back.

While Linksys is a Cisco product (allegedly) I would always use 3com as router of 1 first choice, Netgear as a close second.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Thank you SB I shall take a look at the 3com stuff. You'll have to find me a different repeater though I don't do B***in.

ACS

Legendary Member
In that case Netgear WG102 ticks every box possible but at well over £100 it may be a bit on the costly side. The Belkin WAP units work very well as extender units, but agree under normal circumstances I would not be recommending anything by Belkin.

That said I have used a number (8 or 9) Belkin WAP units around my main site for about 4 years now and they have worked without issue, however, they were only required to handle 1 or 2 connections at any one time. They are now being replaced with WG102 because we can use one 102 as a master repeater and extend the coverage with up to a further 4 slave units.

While I have never used one a 3Com OfficeConnect Wireless 54 Mbps 11g Access Point would be the obvious choice.

Dave5N

Über Member
Came back to this too late. I went to pCWorld and bought a Belkin box. After three hours of hassle and a frustrating phone call to India it seems to be working, even if the install software says it isn't.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Dave5N said:
Came back to this too late. I went to pCWorld and bought a Belkin box. After three hours of hassle and a frustrating phone call to India it seems to be working, even if the install software says it isn't.

Dave, just take it back now and save yourself hours of wasted time trying to fix it or watching as it implodes at a crucial moment. I've never had anything from B***in that didn't break, it's astonishingly consistent.

not done anything like this, but i've used linksys routers before,

infact my 8 year old router still goes strong in my friends house.

Top Bottom