linseed oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robsa

Über Member
Hi I'm finally on the last lap of restoring my 1948 rudge.
Ive been doing it on a bit of shoe string budget.
So can't afford rechroming , ive tried tinfoil, autosol etc but not much joy.
Ive read somewhere that after polishing up the metal to put linseed oil on. Also rubbing it on the frame, ive just repainted it and wondered if will preserve it or bugger it up.
Has anyone here heard or even tried that?

LInseed oil is rather special in that it readily polymerises into a sticky goo. That's why it's used to seal furniture. In its liquid state it penetrates but then quickly polymerises and seals the wood. It also works as a sort of threadlock and some people feel the need to "lock" the nipples on their spokes with linseed oil. That's for another discussion. However, as a chrome and paint restorer it has zero value. You'll put it on, wipe and buff it off and you're back to square one. It may leave a little shine if some oil remains in scatches etc, but that will quickly turn to a dull honey-brown sticky mess.

Incidentally, the polymerizing reaction is endothermic and gives off enough heat to burn your house down. How? You apply it with a rag and bundle that rag into a cupboard. There it heats up, burns and ignites the house. Used linseed oil rags should always be aired outside until they're hard and crackly and then disposed safely.

It also stinks (stink is in the eye of the inhaler) but that's just my take on it.

OP
OP
robsa

robsa

Über Member
Thanks, ive used linseed a lot on restoring old gun stocks but hadn't heard of using it on bicycles till seeing a thread on another forum about old three speed bikes, I was rather dubious as to the merit but your reply has confirmed my thoughts.
Any suggestions as to what I could use to seal the chrome?

Top Bottom