London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No cycling for the past week and can not see any for at at least another week;Reason
1) Grass cutting, (not too bad)
2) Four day trip to London with SWMBO to see the Chelsea Flower show. Great show but oh the crowds. The same general complaint about London. Do the RSPCA know about the underground and the minimum crowding allowed for humans? I think those that travel regularly on the tube (or have to work in London) should be given medals.
3) Need two days to recover, another to help SWMBO with the laundry.
4) Have to prepare my Submission for the PGC course that I am doing at Newcastle Uni. Monday the 1/06 is the dead line.
5) More grass cutting
6) Due to drive down to Nottingham on Saturday to see two dogs. Will need at least one recovery day after that.
7) With luck I may be able to ride down the Tyne paths from Hexham to Newcastle a week today.
The poor bike must think I have deserted it.
End of grumbling and in reality I am luck to be able to do what I am doing, but I still feel sorry for those living and working in London, who have to put up with the crowds day after day.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There are other ways to get around London without crowding onto the tube. Using them is kinder to those who do have to use the tube because it frees up some space on there for them. One of these ways involves a system of hire stations that dispense these very clever two wheeled vehicles that are propelled forwards by simply pushing down on two pads under your feet, alternately left and right. If you return the contraption to a hire point within thirty minutes and wait five before taking another, it costs only £2 for the whole day of hiring.

D

Deleted member 1258

No cycling for the past week and can not see any for at at least another week;Reason
1) Grass cutting, (not too bad)
2) Four day trip to London with SWMBO to see the Chelsea Flower show. Great show but oh the crowds. The same general complaint about London. Do the RSPCA know about the underground and the minimum crowding allowed for humans? I think those that travel regularly on the tube (or have to work in London) should be given medals.
3) Need two days to recover, another to help SWMBO with the laundry.
4) Have to prepare my Submission for the PGC course that I am doing at Newcastle Uni. Monday the 1/06 is the dead line.
5) More grass cutting
6) Due to drive down to Nottingham on Saturday to see two dogs. Will need at least one recovery day after that.
7) With luck I may be able to ride down the Tyne paths from Hexham to Newcastle a week today.
The poor bike must think I have deserted it.
End of grumbling and in reality I am luck to be able to do what I am doing, but I still feel sorry for those living and working in London, who have to put up with the crowds day after day.

We did the Chelsea flower show a few years ago, very good but a bit busy, we did it as part of a two day coach trip, a day in Windsor an overnight stop near Heathrow then the show the following day, meant we could just enjoy it and leave everything else to someone else.

There are other ways to get around London without crowding onto the tube. Using them is kinder to those who do have to use the tube because it frees up some space on there for them. One of these ways involves a system of hire stations that dispense these very clever two wheeled vehicles that are propelled forwards by simply pushing down on two pads under your feet, alternately left and right. If you return the contraption to a hire point within thirty minutes and wait five before taking another, it costs only £2 for the whole day of hiring.
I know about those things I had to use my own, three years ago from Waterloo to Kings Cross. I would prefer to go down Hartside with out any brakes than try that again. Trouble with the tube for visitors like us is that it is convenient once you know where you are going. Buses would be better if you were sure where to get on and off. Have to admit a lot of people got up and give the wife their seat.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I very rarely take the tube in London these days. I much prefer to walk. There's loads of things to see and you don't get stuck under some sweaty bloke's armpit.

Enjoy your week.

I always used to walk, I could get from Euston to most places that way. It was amusing when there was a problem on the Underground and there would be hordes of lost looking people on the street.

subaqua

What’s the point
the armpit reason is the main one for me NOT using the tube unless i desperately have to.

Kings cross to Waterloo by bike is a doddle and mainly in bus lanes. also walkable on a nice day in about 30 mins.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Yes, it's absolute hell. Not.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Horses for courses etc..
I'm a small town boy, but like the fact that Glasgow is only an hour away by train - or 3 hours pedaling if I'm feeling energetic (and it's not raining).

London though, jeezz, I can stomach it for a day, maybe two. It's always a relief when the Virgin train closes it's doors at Euston and sets off northbound. The place is manic, but some folks seem to like that sort of thing. Others put up with it for the bigger wages, but that is just selling your soul IMHO..

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I was born near London, and lived there on and off for maybe 18 years, I bloody love the place, it's a total buzz! However, I prefer it for visiting, these days... which I get to do, as I have family there. The charms of rural Northumberland win out for me.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Kings cross to Waterloo by bike is a doddle and mainly in bus lanes. also walkable on a nice day in about 30 mins.
I prefer to continue straight on after crossing Waterloo bridge, on that bike lane across the pavement and pootle through back streets to the British Museum and then to Euston Road (or vice versa), but I know where you mean.

yello

I bloody love the place, it's a total buzz! However, I prefer it for visiting, these days..

Ditto. I lived there for the best part of 25 years. I was back for a visit a week back and I still love the place. I walked everywhere (with the occasional bus) but then I know the place pretty well so can avoid congestion points. London can be quiet if you know where, and when.

I'd live back there in a shot... IF I was loaded, could have a central London flat and didn't have to work. So that ain't going to happen any time soon! I'm not sure I'd enjoy it if I had to play the 9-5 commuter rally game though.

Top Bottom