Long distance rides on folders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Seeing as this is a folders forum, I thought I would try and lead us away from Strictly Bromptons.

I am searching the net for long distance rides on folders, RTW on folders, touring on folders, etc. But I cannot find any. Does anyone know the best place to look.

What folders would be considered suitable for long distance touring with camping gear?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Brompton?

Google Brompton touring or similar and look at images. I particularly like the use of a large rucksack suspended from the rear of the seat and supported by the rack. There are pictures of loaded Bromptons in all kinds of places.
My short camping trip suggests they're ideal touring companions!

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Seeing as this is a folders forum, I thought I would try and lead us away from Strictly Bromptons.

I am searching the net for long distance rides on folders, RTW on folders, touring on folders, etc. But I cannot find any. Does anyone know the best place to look.

What folders would be considered suitable for long distance touring with camping gear?
I did a few all dayers and weekends away on my Birdys. 18 inch wheels & Expedition rack meant that regular bike panniers - smaller worked better for no heel catch - would fit for a change of clothes and kit & bungeeing a tent and sleeping bag to the top of the rack was fine for overnight. The front forks are pre drilled for pannier racks too and I used a barbag & /or SQR set up routinely which could give more room if needed. It all just worked as it seems to on the Bromptons too.

*edit* I fitted a Burley trailer to the Birdys too and the kids had many happy years towing along in it before they got too big. I could manage a weeks family shopping in it as well so it would be another option for a longer, heavier laden trips, as long as you weren't planning on going properly off piste*

I would imagine, as long as you're not trying it on a cheapo e. g. Asda special made of gorgonzola or a more niche Airnimal type racy style unsuited to heavy loading, that any folder would do for the job with a bit of thought.

Last edited:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Although you may be a bit optimistic to try touring on our friend the Strida :biggrin:

strida-lt-folding-bike-the-triangular-bicycle-3.jpg

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Not meaning to be a dick by using this link, it's just the only way I can see to share a Google search in a link:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=round+the+world+on+a+brompton

That's very clever and I am impressed because I don't know how to do that. I am glad you posted it and I will read the articles because I am trying to compare folders for touring before I get carried away with the iconic name of Brompton. Instead of buying a bike that will do the job just as well for half the price.

But in my original post I did say.

I thought I would try and lead us away from Strictly Bromptons.

Fab Foodie

http://www.foldsoc.co.uk/Mike/dahon_touring.html

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?page_id=44127

There's more if you google 'Touring on a Dahon' or similar ....

The Foldsoc looks interesting ....
http://www.foldsoc.co.uk/

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
@CharlieB has toured (and is touring) on a Brompton, as has @StuartG and others. For a change (an inferior change), @lilolee is currently one day from Dieppe on a Mezzo, and joined us on a Mezzo on the way to Bordeaux last year.

Fab Foodie

Doc, what's the sensible choice for touring. Rack or no rack? Is it easy to retro fit a rack?
If you're talking about a Brommie .... I thought about that one and my solution was to fit a Topeak Quick release beam rack. My thinking was that although it won't take the same weight as Brompton Rack, it still allows the rear-wheel to be folded-under and it's less permantly attached weight for transporting by air and it's less ugly ....
I can also use it on other bikes ....

IMG_2093.JPG

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If you're talking about a Brommie .... I thought about that one and my solution was to fit a Topeak Quick release beam rack. My thinking was that although it won't take the same weight as Brompton Rack, it still allows the rear-wheel to be folded-under and it's less permantly attached weight for transporting by air and it's less ugly ....
I can also use it on other bikes ....

View attachment 89777

Yes. I like that. It is less weight and you can remove the rack when you don't need it.

Where do you get the front rack from and does it get in the way or make the bike bigger when folded?

Top Bottom