Losing your holiday... it works how?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Work have a new annual leave policy in force. If you do not take your holiday by the end of March you will lose it. No holiday is to be taken over to the next year.

Ok so far.

- Can I take my holiday I have left then?

Sorry, not enough staff in department to allow you to have your holiday. So no you can't.

- But I have to take my holiday before the end of march, correct.

Yes

- But how can I take my holiday if you won't let me take it?

Well, you won't be the only one that will be losing holiday.

- Well that's ok then :wahhey: not.

So can they legally do this. Say you have to take your holiday or you will lose it, but then will not let you take it.

I only have two days left to take and have been trying for two months to try and take it.

Any advise would be helpful, thanks.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Sore Thumb said:
Work have a new annual leave policy in force. If you do not take your holiday by the end of March you will lose it. No holiday is to be taken over to the next year.

Ok so far.

- Can I take my holiday I have left then?

Sorry, not enough staff in department to allow you to have your holiday. So no you can't.

- But I have to take my holiday before the end of march, correct.

Yes

- But how can I take my holiday if you won't let me take it?

Well, you won't be the only one that will be losing holiday.

- Well that's ok then :wahhey: not.

So can they legally do this. Say you have to take your holiday or you will lose it, but then will not let you take it.

I only have two days left to take and have been trying for two months to try and take it.

Any advise would be helpful, thanks.

Consult your union/citizen advice bureau or solicitor.

Failing that throw a sickie.

They can not do that Fact it is your holiday which you are aloud to have by law. If they say you have to take it by March that is ok. But they can not tell you that you can not take it before march as that is just as good as saying that we are only going to give you just 75% of you holiday this year. If as they say it will leave them short staffed well that is not your problem it is there's. What they should do is let you take them in holiday year or pay you for them. At the end of the day the law has said you are aloud them NO one can take them off you unless you have singed a waver ie in the Armed Forces...

Willow

I would say it depends on what the procedural requirements are for booking the holiday. Most organisations I've worked at insist that you book for the year in advance though are flexible to change providing staffing levels allow for it. Personally given the current environment I wouldn't cause too many arguments over it but would ensure that I fully booked next years entitilement pdq. It sounds like there has been a bit of hassle over things and the dust may settle in a couple of days, try the pleasant approach rather than the difficult approach and see if that helps, also perhaps suggest half days if it means you get to keep it - not ideal I know but perhaps a compromise is needed. For the sake of a couple of days it's not worth antagonising everyone and making your working life more difficult.

Noodley said:

Do we all have to say that at the same time together? :evil:

OP
OP
S

Sore Thumb

Guru
Sorry they said I will lose them. But certain grades of staff are allowed to take over annual leave.
So if you have more power and pay then you can take up to 10 days holiday over.

I also get one hours unpaid break a day. But due to work I am often unable to take a morning or afternoon break. So mainly only get 30mins lunch.

If you don't take them they say you cannot put them down as paid time as it suggests that there is a management problem in organising staff breaks.

So you cannot get your breaks but you are also pressurised not to claim for them. We have to go to the coffee room for our breaks as we are not permitted to eat or drink in the workplace.

So losing 30 mins a day for a month could work out to quite a bit of extra pay.

So that why I am a bit annoyed in been forced to lose my holiday. Its just one one more thing to do to reduce staff moral.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Mr Summerdays has worked for employers who have said that as a general rule, then told him he couldn't take the leave. But they then allowed him to carry it over since they wouldn't let him take it at that point.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you can't take the time off because of 'operational' issues, they should let you carry it over (to be used up asap) - i.e. give you a couple of months to use it) or pay you. It's part of your T&C's - if there is time to use it, then do so - go to HR.

Top Bottom