Loud Clicking Noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

re84uk

Hi Everyone

A few months ago I purchased a Giant Defy 2 and its a lovely bike, however it seems to have developed a problem already :/

When in a certain gear, there seems to be a loud clicking sound coming from somewhere in the drive train. This seems to only be happening in one gear which seems a bit odd. Unfortunately I can't easily take the bike back to where I purchased it as I bought it online and the location of the bike shop is many miles away.

Any ideas?

PpPete

Legendary Member
Chances are it's a stretched cable putting indexing out slightly. Plenty of videos on YouTube with instructions on indexing but I'd check first. If you don't have a workstand you'll need another pair of hands to lift back wheel and turn pedals/run through gears, while you look at the alignment of the chain & rear derailleur cage (from behind the bike).
Unless it's had a knock and put the derailleur hanger out of alignment?

OP
OP
re84uk

re84uk

Chances are it's a stretched cable putting indexing out slightly. Plenty of videos on YouTube with instructions on indexing but I'd check first. If you don't have a workstand you'll need another pair of hands to lift back wheel and turn pedals/run through gears, while you look at the alignment of the chain & rear derailleur cage (from behind the bike).
Unless it's had a knock and put the derailleur hanger out of alignment?

Cheers for that. I'll have a tinker when I get a chance. The bike hasn't taken any knocks so the cable tension is the more likely culprit.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
By chance, I noticed a strange bit of clickery trickery going on while out yesterday. I was able to diagnose it as due to the cold. My brain had frozen and I'd managed to get myself completely crosschained. I'm certain this wouldn't have happened if I'd been wearing a thicker skull cap.

I'd simply turn the bike upside down to see if you can find out what's clicking in which gear and why.

Alternatively, it might be a bomb.

col

Legendary Member
I had a similar thing, turned out to be a pedal, took out regreased and tightened, did the trick.

OP
OP
re84uk

re84uk

Thanks for the replies everyone.

The noise happens whether I am in or out of the saddle. The noise also only seems to happen in one or two gears. The gears would be somewhere in the middle of the rear cassette I would say.

HovR

Über Member
I had a similar thing, turned out to be a pedal, took out regreased and tightened, did the trick.

I also had this - It was driving me insane - Checked over the whole drive chain, and it turned out to be the pedal. :rolleyes:

col

Legendary Member
I also had this - It was driving me insane - Checked over the whole drive chain, and it turned out to be the pedal. :rolleyes:
It was the same for me, took me ages, nearly ready to throw the bike through the window.

OP
OP
re84uk

re84uk

I doubt its the pedals due to the fact the noise only happens in one or two gears but thanks for the replies everyone. I shall align and index the gears first and see if that helps.

col

Legendary Member
I doubt its the pedals due to the fact the noise only happens in one or two gears but thanks for the replies everyone. I shall align and index the gears first and see if that helps.
Just as a bit of daft, why not try to regrease and tighten the pedals anyway, you never know?

Pedals, I have a Giant Defy 3 and the clicking only happens in certain gears. I replaced the bottom bracket which needed doing anyway, changed the rear mech cable which also needed doing and then serviced the pedals which you need a tool to do if they're Shimano...
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc..._uTICw&usg=AFQjCNHrkDjlVBYG4HmQDllUjjjAOKWJ9g

I regreased the axle and regreased the thread onto the crank, job done.

Also, it's unlikely but check that there is nothing stuck in your cleats that shouldn't be there...

Top Bottom