Low Speed 2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well it wouldn't be directly useful for me, but I would use it assuming it was a reasonable standard. I doubt it will happen anytime soon though.

There is an issue with any cycle path design, in that they tend to go where other people THINK cyclists want to go, or is convenient for the designer.
Then when they are built they are narrow, poorly maintained and useless.

What I would like to see is more investment in direct routes. How many orads can you think of where cyclists are "forced off" by upgrades?

Personally I would like to see a situation where any road where the speed is greater than 50 have a decent minimum specification cycle way as a mandatory part of the planning

... and I mean THIS

fietssnelweg-f35-enschede.jpg

NOT this:

november+5+2010+003.JPG

Imagine how much easier LEJOG would be if you could safely follow the Motorways

So to that extent, this would set up a precedent

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Imagine how much easier LEJOG would be if you could safely follow the Motorways
How very unappealing that sounds ... :thumbsdown:

I don't want to see cars, hear cars, or smell cars. If I have to put up with cars (and larger vehicles), I want it to be a few doing 30-40 mph, not thousands doing 70-90 mph!

If I were riding a LEJOG, I would be doing it for a challenge so it would not be about making it easier. I would probably do detours into Wales, the Peak District, Yorkshire Dales, Scottish islands etc. to make it more interesting. Blow 'easy'! :thumbsup:

PS I do agree with you about cycle paths though ... nice big, safe ones - yes please; silly, small, dangerous ones - no thanks!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
i am generally very "anti" cycle lanes, even the so say "good" ones like the one above - as it superficially makes the riding-along bit possibly slightly safer (fairly safe anyway) - but the already hazardous junctions much worse.

However, a wholly new long distance cycle path alongside a railway is a brilliant idea. The only good cycle path i've ever seen or used is Bristol to Bath cycleway using a disused railway. Would work equally well parallel to a real railway - and after all, railways actually go somewhere.

Should't cost that much more per mile since the route itself is being built anyway, and a bit of tar up the side might even be justified for engineers' access (ie by van)

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Don't know if it will happen but I'd love to see the cycling equivalent of a motorway available for long distance routes, with the proviso that it must be good quality as in the first pic @Cunobelin posted.

Locally we could do with something like this alongside the railway between Shrewsbury and Ludlow as the choice is the rather scary A49 or steep lanes over Wenlock Edge.

Last edited:

Ern1e

Über Member
The idea is very good but will it happen who knows the dutch had to do radical things to get the goverments attention,but thye have ended up with what i would consider a fine system which I for one would be more than happy to use to get from one place to the other in saftey.Also Mr.Johnson may at times have some "strange" ideas but for me this could be his best idea (good one that is) yet.

StuartG

slower but further
By the time it is finished I will be riding an e-trike closely pursued by my carer. So yes it would be ideal. Oh and hopefully free of young roadies to whom the Chilterns are something to go over - not through.

Top Bottom