Manchester - Llandudno 25 April 2015 featuring the Inaugural Hill Climb Sausage Challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Sixty odd riders, few of whom know each other, and different start points and times on a route with which most are unfamiliar.

I'm not saying such a group cannot be kept together, but I think a bunch finish at Llandudno is unlikely.

To me, that all adds to the fun, it's certainly not to be seen as a problem.

I wonder if Nick, as ride leader, might be prepared to carry an identifying marker.

At least then someone moving up or down the train would know they had definitely found another member of the ride.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I wonder if Nick, as ride leader, might be prepared to carry an identifying marker
Can we designate a costume? :laugh:
upload_2015-1-31_22-20-56.png

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Sixty odd riders, few of whom know each other, and different start points and times on a route with which most are unfamiliar.

I'm not saying such a group cannot be kept together, but I think a bunch finish at Llandudno is unlikely.

To me, that all adds to the fun, it's certainly not to be seen as a problem.

I wonder if Nick, as ride leader, might be prepared to carry an identifying marker.

At least then someone moving up or down the train would know they had definitely found another member of the ride.

I think it would be counterproductive to try to keep everyone together. Some folk have early trains to get, some don't . Some will have mechanicals, some won't , All I would ask is that some of the quicker riders help out the less quick ones instead of disappearing over the horizon. I'll be sitting at the back so I can help out folk with mechanicals (although I'm a useless fettler) and help them get back on schedule. Hopefully some others can help me out with this.

I'm open to suggestions re my marker....maybe a nice hat and shawl like this?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTgXOEPDOqxQytae90jlTq0wRq_zFSsZKO4L6EU1bByhihffP9tiQ.jpg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I think it would be counterproductive to try to keep everyone together.

It would be, although the degree of togetherness is difficult to get right.

I've been on a couple of group rides which have fallen apart to such an extent that I thought afterwards I may as well have done the ride on my own.

On those occasions, it would have been better had a leader cracked the keep together whip.

Equally, there can be too much calling and ordering about.

Thankless task, being a ride leader.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Actually if you look at the map on post #1 you'll see I've sneakily added the slight detour to Marbury Country Park for the tea van. We're up to 98.9 miles now. Trying to keep it below the psychological 100 mark...or should I find 1.1miles to get us Piccadillyers the guaranteed ton?

Just tell those who want to claim a century to swing wide on all the bends.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Cheers for the heads up on the trains.

Tried to book a couple of cycle friendly B&Bs but they were already booked! Going to keep looking and can then sort out a train back to Crewe on Sunday.

david k

Hi
Do we need to notify the chippy that 50+ cyclists will be ordering copious amounts of chips around 6.30pm ?

david k

Hi
Just realised my lad will be playing rugby early next day so looking to book the - 6.45pm train back.

The ride crossed the river weaver at Acton bridge, I may consider riding straight there to save getting the train to Manchester, it's about the same distance from St helens anyway, should be an easy spot to join the ride

I'm guessing around 11.45??

I have a couple of friends who want to join me

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Just realised my lad will be playing rugby early next day so looking to book the - 6.45pm train back.

The ride crossed the river weaver at Acton bridge, I may consider riding straight there to save getting the train to Manchester, it's about the same distance from St helens anyway, should be an easy spot to join the ride

I'm guessing around 11.45??

I have a couple of friends who want to join me

No problem, I rode through Acton Bridge yesterday doing a bit more recce. I'd guess folk will be getting there from about 1145 like you say (quick cuppa stop at Marbury CP 1100-ish and it's about another 6 miles from there to Acton Bridge). Alternative is to train to Acton Bridge then ride over to Marbury CP for the "official" meet up point. Up to you, the little lanes between Acton Bridge and Marbury are very pleasant.

Given the time of your train home from Llandudno you should probably limit your time at Eureka and then try to push on a bit to Llandudno. Us slower riders are probably not going to get there before 1830 so our schedule leaves you no time for fish and chips

Twinks

Über Member
A family invite means we cannot now make this ride:sad:. Can't wriggle out of it sadly. Frees up two seats at the chippy though.

david k

Hi
No problem, I rode through Acton Bridge yesterday doing a bit more recce. I'd guess folk will be getting there from about 1145 like you say (quick cuppa stop at Marbury CP 1100-ish and it's about another 6 miles from there to Acton Bridge). Alternative is to train to Acton Bridge then ride over to Marbury CP for the "official" meet up point. Up to you, the little lanes between Acton Bridge and Marbury are very pleasant.

Given the time of your train home from Llandudno you should probably limit your time at Eureka and then try to push on a bit to Llandudno. Us slower riders are probably not going to get there before 1830 so our schedule leaves you no time for fish and chips

Yeh if we get to Acton bridge early, we may ride onto eureka and meet there

The trains are every hour so not the end of the world if we miss that one, but would prefer if possible as I dont want to get home too late

Top Bottom