Matte Paint

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stu Smith

Veteran
I've bought myself a second hand Matte Black carbon bike,but the previous owner as put polish on the frame and its not looking so matte all over..
Is there any way I can strip the polish off to get back to the matte finish?
I've tried soapy water,and baby wipes so far with no effect..

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
If he's lacquered it you've no chance. Matte bikes are a pain to keep clean. I wish I'd lacquered mine when I got it.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
my carbon ribble is matt black, and dirt just washes off with the merest squirt from a hose, far more so than the shiney ali bike. matt does not make cleaning a bugger of a job necessarily...

Globalti

Legendary Member
My matt black Roubaix has gone shiny on the sides of the top tube where my legs occasionally touch the frame. The matt lustre is restored if you spray it with Mr Sheen, which also makes water bead up on it.

Drago

Legendary Member
Don't use furniture polish on CF frames. It contains methyl-acrylate, which is the specific solvent used for melting the raw material in the manufacture of the fibre thread. It's the chemical equivalent of waxing your car with Nitromors.

Citius

Let's assume the frame finish is not raw CF, and actually has some kind of paint or laquer finish over the top (like 100% of CF frames actually do).

Anyway, if you want to remove polish from a matte finish, just spray a rag with WD/GT or similar and wipe over. It will look shiny at first, but the matt finish will return once the solvents evapourate.

Top Bottom