Mavic rims info please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukAs98

I recently acquired a pair of mavic rimmed wheels. The rear wheel has a flanged "Normandy" hub and mavic monthlery route rim. The front has a non flanged atom hub on a mavic championnal du monde sur route rim. I have a few questions about them which I was hoping someone here could answer.

Is it unusual for a wheel set to have different hubs? And is there a reason someone may have done so?

Are the two different rims high quality? And is it normal for them to be mixed and matched?

Does any one know roughly what era these rims are from?

Thanks in advance for any help

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
The championnat is a 70's rim and the route a little later, the hubs are different so you have a mismatched set of wheels.

Velobase would be a good place to start :smile:

Shaun

dddd

Regular
The larger flanges on the rear hub are better able to transmit torque to the rim with less tension change in the spokes and with less flexible "wind-up' between the hub and wheel rim.
The latest in wheel marketing talk describes this reduced twisting flex as "improved reactivity", and I concur.
Larger flanges do not really improve upon the lateral stiffness of the wheel, but it is sometimes said that they do. It is just theory vs. theory on that one!

Gatters

I'm old enough to remember normandy large flange, whilst there is nothing wrong with them per se, they were a cheaper option than the likes of campag at the time

I have a similar "pair" too! A lot can happen to wheels in 30, 40 years!

Top Bottom