Maxims to live your life by

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Punkawallah

Über Member
“I yams whut I yams, and thut’s all that I yams”.
Popeye.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I was warned off buying a merc by a guy I do work for. He dealt in cars and had a lovely merc for sale. It was imaculate with pale cream leather seats, metallic red flawless paint, sun roof etc. It really looked the business. I asked how much he was selling it for (not with the intention of buying) and he said £8000. I imagined it would be £25000 probably more.
I said whats wrong with it and he said 'nothing now. But if you buy it you will be forever spending on it.' He also said rust is always a problem.
I thought Mercs were supposed to be bombproof.

Oh boy. Third post so now I've gotta say something. What's with the Merc bashing! I've run one for years and had zero, count them, zero, problems. Ditto with BMWs and anything else I've had.

What does everyone do with their cars that have all these problems!

richardfm

Veteran
Never do today what you can put of until tomorrow.

On a more serious note, if you don't know then ask. You'll end up looking more stupid when it becomes apparent that you don't know.

Similarly with lying. Don't do it, you'll get found out and then the person you lied to will never trust you again.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Never let your braces dangle if you're standing by the mangle

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Oh boy. Third post so now I've gotta say something. What's with the Merc bashing! I've run one for years and had zero, count them, zero, problems. Ditto with BMWs and anything else I've had.

What does everyone do with their cars that have all these problems!
The tale is too long to go into here, but basically my beef is threefold:

The general unreliability of the thing (check engine light on four times in three years of ownership; I had a Renault Grand Scenic previously, which was faultless)

The incompetence of the service staff at MB, who it seems couldn't find their arse with both hands

The ridiculous prices you have to pay for such inept service (e.g £220 "investigation fee" every time that light comes on, £220 for an air intake hose, not including fitting... My mate had an old Saab and to change the air intake hose on that is £15 for the part, and you can do it yourself in half an hour).

I'm sure Mercs were great... Once.

mustang1

Legendary Member
The tale is too long to go into here, but basically my beef is threefold:

The general unreliability of the thing (check engine light on four times in three years of ownership; I had a Renault Grand Scenic previously, which was faultless)

The incompetence of the service staff at MB, who it seems couldn't find their arse with both hands

The ridiculous prices you have to pay for such inept service (e.g £220 "investigation fee" every time that light comes on, £220 for an air intake hose, not including fitting... My mate had an old Saab and to change the air intake hose on that is £15 for the part, and you can do it yourself in half an hour).

I'm sure Mercs were great... Once.

Yeah the dealer prices are truly outrageous. At least the smile while taking the 🤑 money.

Buuuut, back to OP topic:
Don't be bored, there is always something to do.

Top Bottom