Maximum Rider Weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

STEVEMO

Hello, been trying to get a straight answer to the question, "Do Orbea carbon frames have a weight limit". Can anybody help?

Last edited by a moderator:

vickster

Legendary Member
Hello, been trying to get a straight answer to the question, "Do Orbea carbon frames have a weight limit". Can anybody help?
Ask the retailer you are buying from, should be stated in the sales materials/catalogues

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Not sure about Orbea, but if you are of a weight that makes you worry, I'd say stay away from Carbon. I tend to be around 100kg (+/-5kg) I've had a couple of carbon frames break & a seatpost, so I'm done with carbon now. I was under the 100kg limit on my last planet x, within 2 months & 500 miles the seatpost tube had a crack & I had a bit of a job getting the warranty replacement. I did eventually get a replacement in December, but I've not rode it yet & probably won't :blush: I'll try selling it in the spring.

Drago

Legendary Member
It's not breaking them per se that worries me. It's partly the expense if they break, as carbon costs more. But it's also the safety aspect - carbon can fail suddenly and catastrophically , whereas metal usually doesn't and gives warning signs if you're diligent.

screenman

Legendary Member
They make some pretty impressive things out of carbon fibre though. Most of my pals ride plastic, most of my club mates own plastics, most racing cyclists etc. I am yet to see a failed one, unlike steel, so you can see why I feel they work.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've only ever broke a frame with a scaffold tube, got wiped out by a driver, and the bike got wrapped round scaffolding.

It's bloody hard to break a frame, I've tried a few times to break my alloy and carbon fixie (drivers don't like it). Carbon is pretty damn strong.

Drago

Legendary Member
They make some pretty impressive things out of carbon fibre though. Most of my pals ride plastic, most of my club mates own plastics, most racing cyclists etc. I am yet to see a failed one, unlike steel, so you can see why I feel they work.
I've seen failed ones.

It's a fairly safe bet that no material is immune to failure. It's simply expense of replacing failed frames, and safety to keep me off them. If a manufacturer wishes to guarantee one for a 117kg man then great, but virtually no mainstream road frame manufacturer does.

midlife

Guru
I've seen failed ones.

It's a fairly safe bet that no material is immune to failure. It's simply expense of replacing failed frames, and safety to keep me off them. If a manufacturer wishes to guarantee one for a 117kg man then great, but virtually no mainstream road frame manufacturer does.

Just an observation someone on here posted a link to a you tube video showing carbon fibre frames cut up and some of the defects inside. Interesting viewing but must have cost a fortune.....

Shaun

screenman

Legendary Member
I can see if you have seen failed one's you may be worried. Likewise me not seeing one makes me trust them.

screenman

Legendary Member
Just an observation someone on here posted a link to a you tube video showing carbon fibre frames cut up and some of the defects inside. Interesting viewing but must have cost a fortune.....

Shaun

Was the film made by a company with ulterior motives.

To be honest I feel both steel and carbon are safe and own both.

Top Bottom