Me and my Cowboy 3

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gwylan

Veteran
You may have picked up on the theft of my ebike.
That was a RockMachine, I hadn't heard of it either but we grew to respect each other.

It took several adaptations to get near something I could cope with. That included a change of tyres, knocking 30 mm off each end of the bars and fitting bar ends.
It was still a heavy bike with a lot of weight in the back wheel and interesting handling.

Anyway, it got nicked. I do wonder what happened to it. I know whee the niggles are. Also it gave me a chance to choose again.

I opted for a Cowboy 3.
Why?
Well it's from Belgium and based on experience I believe they know a bit about bikes.
It has effectively an automatic gear system. Has an app to do all sorts of things.
Has a belt in place of chain.
But in its matt black and design it does stand out. Not really me.

Now I've been riding it around for a week and covered a few miles. What do I think?

The app?
You need the app to start the bike. That means a holder somewhere for your mobile. This is not included in the package. No mobile no power.

There's the funny start. The moment you push the pedal the motor kicks in. Bit eager, took some getting used to.

No stand! Available as an extra, just skimping to keep the price down. Decathlon strike a happy medium.
No panniers! Its a town bike! Runs to town and the supermarket are part of the justification for this extravagance. Another extra, at a loony price. Decathlon version do fit and reasonably priced.

Ah but! Now if you have panniers the battery is harder to remove.
If you put the saddle too low then you cannot actually get the battery off the bike!

And the killer is?
Well, you have to take the battery off the bike in order to charge it. What half wit signed off on that?

The bell! Complying with the 'audible means of warning '. Absolute rubbish. No matter what you do getting a decent ding is well nigh impossible.

The ride? Well, it suits me. Has much better control and balance than the previous bike. Not as much support rom the battery.
Lighter, a lot lighter and easier to manoever around town.

The range? They say 70km, 40m in Boris land. Yet to see what that means for me. The app keeps telling me how much battery range there is left and a string of other information.

There is a load of information from the app. The need for all this is not clear. But I suppose its progress.
The tracker convinced me that the bike is a good choice for my sort of cycling.

We shall see how things are after the first 1k km

A yone else got one.

OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran
Well an update. We've got 400km on the clock.

This was followed by a diatribe against Cowboy, the company, their people and their grossly overpriced underperforming bike.

It's been deleted in the interest of good taste and harmony
I am thoroughly fed up with it. It is one and it performs like one.
No amount of glitter sprinkling will conceal it's shortcomings.

OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran
Well an update. We've got 400km on the clock.

This was followed by a diatribe against Cowboy, the company, their people and their grossly overpriced underperforming bike.

It's been deleted in the interest of good taste and harmony
I am thoroughly fed up with it. It is one and it performs like one.
No amount of glitter sprinkling will conceal it's shortcomings.

I did ask the Belgian company if they knew what a Cowboy outfit conveyed in English.
No, clearly their head of cultural awareness and engagement was out the day they chose the name.

Or not....

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Sounds great. I’ll give you a score to take it off your hands. Can’t say fairer than that.

OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran
Well it's a year later.
The good got better the worse is worse.
2500km on the clock
This is good given the time lost faffing about.
This is because there is this clever thing that issues an alert if you have an accident. In my case that goes off spontaneously, especially when things are bumpy.
But according to Cowboy this doesn't happen.
The bike stops functioning.
Generally the solution is to switch off the bike and restart. Sometimes you have to reboot the app. Sometimes you have to reinstall the app.
All this happens spontaneously, at the traffic lights, turning left or right or bumping a pothole.
In the meantime the app on the phone is offering to call 999 and report an incident.
As if that's going to work.

So I try to make contact with Camel "help desk"
Get a reply that they will do their best to respond within a day.
Oh and they work office hours, European time, clear off at 5 o'clock and do not operate on Saturday or Sunday.
Things have not got much better.
After 3 weeks of messing about it might be my bike is fixed. Tuesday will tell

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Just looked on their website.
sorry to say that I don’t find the bike aesthetically pleasing. It seems a lot of money for a smallish range too.

Are you saving for a different bike? Asking after all the issues that you have had.

OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran
Yes of course. But what for? It is a nice bike in so many ways.
The weight is really in its favour.

We shall see what happens next

OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran
Hacked off is mild. The people are nice and helpful. But the overall effect is like useless but well meaning. Dark suit and so on ..

The bike is a frog that needs a princess to kiss it.

What will I replace it with though? I find it a nice ride, it is light and good for 50km.

AndyRM

XOXO
A Van Moof maybe? If you need to go along the electric route. Pricey, but nice, and has all the integrated stuff (panniers aside I think) without the faff.

OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran
A Van Moof maybe? If you need to go along the electric route. Pricey, but nice, and has all the integrated stuff (panniers aside I think) without the faff.

Well the boys at Fettle seemed to "love" Van Moof. "We get loads of them in", they said.
"the Cowboy is much better"

AndyRM

XOXO
Ah, I believe you're right. Shame, there was one near where I used to work and it looked very stylish. Fancy ebikes aren't really my thing to be honest. There is a sub-forum where you might get more help?

Top Bottom