Measuring Spokes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Planning for a future tour is underway and it occurs to me that carrying spare spokes would probably be wise.

Unfortunately I'm dealing with five bikes so I've probably got anything up to fifteen different sizes of spoke, what with two different wheel sizes and other variations with dynamos, rims, dished wheels et c.

Being an essentially lazy person I'm wondering if there's a way to measure the spokes without removing one example from each wheel and putting it back in, or should I just accept that there will be a long afternoon of wheel removal and measuring using the normal spoke measuring tools?

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Measure the spoke in situ to the base of the nipple, then add the length of a nipple.
You can make an emergency spoke out of a long one with the elbow cut off. When it's required, simply bend the spoke where it goes through the flange then bend again to make a 'Z', and tighten as usual. It's a good permanent repair.

Measure the spoke in situ to the base of the nipple, then add the length of a nipple.
You can make an emergency spoke out of a long one with the elbow cut off. When it's required, simply bend the spoke where it goes through the flange then bend again to make a 'Z', and tighten as usual. It's a good permanent repair.

https://www.jimlangley.net/wrench/espoketool.html
This is a tool to make them but for one, pliers or Leatherman Multitool may do the job.

I have several kilogrammes of unmeasured spokes to I'll dig out a couple of long ones and prepare accordingly, thanks.

I'll still measure the existing ones and stock up s well...

I've used the fibre fix spoke in the wild and can vouch for its simplicity and utility.
If I can use it..... Anyone can ^_^

Don't forget there's (normally?) different sized spokes for the rear wheel. That means three spares for each bike.
And some spoke replacement will require the removal of the cassette - not an issue with the Fibrefix.
I carry my spare spokes wrapped in old tube in the seat post on my bike.

Edit: Where are you off to? Family tour?

I've used the fibre fix spoke in the wild and can vouch for its simplicity and utility.
If I can use it..... Anyone can ^_^

Don't forget there's (normally?) different sized spokes for the rear wheel. That means three spares for each bike.
And some spoke replacement will require the removal of the cassette - not an issue with the Fibrefix.
I carry my spare spokes wrapped in old tube in the seat post on my bike.

Edit: Where are you off to? Family tour?

That's why I calculated fifteen sizes; three per bike

The original plan was train to Köln, ride back to Stuttgart with a friend who came with me to collect the Bakfiets from Amsterdam. On that occasion we had to bail in Koblenz so we wanted to finish the ride. It's good to hear the Fibrefix actually works.

Now my boys all want to come, so we're thinking how we could make this happen, maybe by riding from Freiburg to Stuttgart via Strasbourg and Mannheim.

si_c

Guru
I have two sets of wheels that I am likely to go on any longer rides with, one I built myself and made sure I had spare spokes for, one is a wheelset I bought at the LBS, I've got spares for them too.

@Ian H suggestion of a long spoke makes a lot of sense, I'll order some for my other wheels as a just in case.

That's why I calculated fifteen sizes; three per bike
Apologies. I wasn't trying to infer anything negative, just supplying info that almost caught me out once upon a time.

Unless you're carrying a lot of weight and/or doing a lot of rough stuff is there the possibility that you're overthinking this?

Anyways, that's a great part of the world. Good luck and enjoy

Top Bottom