Medics? Lumbago: would a back support help?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
One for the medics / fellow sufferers please!

Mrs B has been diagnosed with lumbago, poor thing. She's taking anti-inflammatories, but I'm wondering if some kind of back support might be a help. Anyone got experience of this kind of thing?

ChrisKH

Guru
Definitely. I suffer lower back pain because I abused myself so much when I was younger (playing rugby). I now have an elasticated back support for times when it hurts or I'm going to be bending over a fair bit (bike maintenance, gardeing, etc.).It really helps. Keeps the back warm and I avoid any post exercise back pain as a result. Even if your wifes symptoms were for slightly different reasons (I presume she hasn't been doing too much rugby!) I would recommend it.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
ChrisKH said:
Definitely. I suffer lower back pain because I abused myself so much when I was younger (playing rugby). I now have an elasticated back support for times when it hurts or I'm going to be bending over a fair bit (bike maintenance, gardeing, etc.).It really helps. Keeps the back warm and I avoid any post exercise back pain as a result. Even if your wifes symptoms were for slightly different reasons (I presume she hasn't been doing too much rugby!) I would recommend it.

No rugby (!) but her job does involve some light lifting / moving stuff about. How wide is the support Chris? Is it the sort of thing you can wear all day or are you supposed to just wear it for limited periods?

ChrisKH

Guru
beanzontoast said:
No rugby (!) but her job does involve some light lifting / moving stuff about. How wide is the support Chris? Is it the sort of thing you can wear all day or are you supposed to just wear it for limited periods?

My belt I bought in the States but I'm sure you can get them here. It's about 5"-7" wide all the way round and attaches using velcro only. It has three different velcro attachments, so you can increase the support by doing one or more up tighter. I tend to wear mine outside clothes when i'm in the garden, but if i'm having extended problems wear it inside clothes as well. Absolute Godsend for me. This sort of thing http://shop.bupa.co.uk/back_supports/double_pull_lumbar_brace-c1806p2138.html would do the trick. Best to try before you buy though as we aren't all built the same.

This is the one I have, or something very close to it:- http://cgi.ebay.com/BELL-MAGNETIC-L...categoryZ19264QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

ChrisKH

Guru
And yes, I do wear it all day if the need arises, but it can be quite warm to wear indoors so tend to use it only when I'm exercising or with serious back pain. Very good support when sitting down as well.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
ChrisKH said:
And yes, I do wear it all day if the need arises, but it can be quite warm to wear indoors so tend to use it only when I'm exercising or with serious back pain. Very good support when sitting down as well.

Sounds just what she needs.

Trying on, eh? Well, it will make a change from her shopping for shoes.... :smile:

Mr Phoebus

Debilitating back pain is rather crappy... :smile:

But!

Is that the stuff they drink in the Congo?
A hippo took an apricot, a guava and a mango...

Top Bottom