Meet the Vikings...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
....Implored the sign at the park entrance. It's May Day and May Day is local park fair day. There must be many May Day fairs but the Vikings had chosen this one to grace with their presence. I have to say of all the attractions available, from Pony rides to Bouncy castles, Meet The Vikings is the one that fascinates me most. Not because I want to meet them but because I want to know how you become a Viking. Perhaps there are discreet ads in the local paper, have axe, need helmet kind of thing, like Elton John and Bernie Taupin did.

The Dog and I sidled past amongst a throng of interested people, all Meeting the Vikings. It's not the first time I've not Met The Vikings. They pop up all over the place at various events around the area and I realized, with some slight shock, I'd been not Meeting the Vikings for nigh on 15 years now. Today though was the closest I'd got, because today was the first time I'd ever seen anyone meeting them, let alone thronging and I'd never fancied sidling up on my own to find out what Meeting The Vikings was all about.

Of course I don't know if it's the same Vikings today as it was 15 years ago, I've not been as keen an observer as they perhaps deserve, given their dedication to Meeting people. The lineup may have changed, some may have passed on in burning ships lit from flaming arrows, passing the torch of their Viking core down the line in some Viking ceremonial observance.

I'm not really sure I'd want to meet real Vikings. I have this mental image that doing so would involve drinking ale from a horn before trying to split each others heads open with an axe, or the ripping of bodices from torso's whilst hams are banged on tables and devoured but then my Vikings look like Tony Curtis and Kirk Douglas, these looked suspiciously like vegetarians and accountants. They also looked a bit Norman'ish too. No horned helmets and axes, more pikes and Norman nasal pointy helmets. Viking props are either hard to get hold of or my view of Viking history is heavily skewed by Hollywood. I suspect the latter but I have always avoided being disabused of this notion by failing to Meet The Vikings.

Perhaps next time, I'll summon the courage to disabuse my Viking vision and go and find out what Vikings were really like. Perhaps next time I'll catch them performing, 'see the warriors fight' or hear them 'telling stories' or see the 'slave market' in action, which are just some of the things they apparently do. I've only ever seen them sitting about in their tents with no one within a hundred yards, apart from when a stray football went into their tent and an errant youth was sent to get it back. Until today that is. Today was the first time I'd seen anyone Meeting The Vikings.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
If you condense that to a sentence I'll read it. All my Viking knowledge comes from Asterix and the Vikings, by Odin!

Slightly later in history, but for a few years I was a pikeman in Sir Nicholas Slanning's Regiment of Foote, re-enacting English Civil War battles and doing historical exhibitions.

It is an expensive and time consuming hobby, but very rewarding intellectually, socially and personally

If the Vikings are as sociable as the Sealed Knot were, then go along, find out a bit more and borrow some kit.

Then become a Viking at weekends and Bank Holidays!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
http://www.vikingsonline.org.uk/

Here you go. Hubby and I are ex-vike. A nice bunch of people. Easy to join and they will teach you anything you want to know about becoming a Viking or Saxon. The twice yearly banquets are a blast too.
If you want any further info, please feel free to message me.

Oh, chap on the front page of the site is Black Bob. A nicer chap you'd never meet.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Oh yeah. Meet the Vikings. I've never met the Vikings,even though they turn up at lots of local events. I didn't today either. How's that?
Most of them are nice people. As with all groups there are always a few that are narky but I'm sure you can avoid them.
Getting kit together is not wildly expensive necessarily. My OH got his first set of kit together for a tenner including a weapon, then he wasn't called Packrat for nothing. He's quite legendary in the Vike, or at least he used to be. I got my first set of kit together for less than thirty quid and it passed the kit check.

I left years ago as I divorced one of the high ups, as you do.

Here you go. Hubby and I are ex-vike. A nice bunch of people. Easy to join and they will teach you anything you want to know about becoming a Viking or Saxon. The twice yearly banquets are a blast too.

Oh, chap on the front page of the site is Black Bob. A nicer chap you'd never meet.

We went to a Banquet in Plymouth.

My wife finished work and joined us , arriving by Moped!

For the entire night she was cast as a Witch, for she had ridden on a beast that emitted the foul sulfurous fumes of hell and had no legs!

OP
OP
C

Crackle

That takes the mystery out of it then. It's not for me. I'm more slave than Viking.

Top Bottom