Miche chain sets and bottom bracket compatibility?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
Last year I fitted a Miche Graff sub compact (30/46) to my recently refurbed Rourke frame. According the technical spec the Miche chain set had a 24mm shaft (same as Shimano) so I couldn't see any reason why it wouldn't fit the Hope bottom bracket which was also for 24mm internal diameter.

However, to say it was a tight fit would be an understatement!

I eventually got it in past the first bearing with a little, shall we say encouragement, so I was then committed. It had to go in then, one way or the other. So, with more "encouragement" I got it past the second bearing. But the amount of effort to get it "home" was nothing short of stupid and in hindsight I should really have stopped when it was tight going past the first bearing. But hey ho........I didn't!

Again, in hindsight, maybe once I had discovered it was such a tight fit maybe I should have lapped the shaft with some emery cloth?

But there is no way that I am going to even consider removing it until such time comes that I need to replace it.

I've since found out that you should fit a Miche bottom bracket with a Miche chain set even though the technical spec says it's 24mm shaft, which is the same as Shimano chain set, so in theory okay to use with a Hope bottom bracket?

Therefore, I can only assume that the shaft on the Miche chain set must be on the plus side of 24mm in comparison to the Shimano 24mm shaft? Therefore, the bearings in the Miche bottom bracket must also be slightly oversize to match the Miche shaft?

So finally, my question, has anyone had experiences of fitting Miche chain sets with non Miche bottom brackets?

Top Bottom