Mild winter now guaranteed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I'm confused - if a mild winter is guaranteed, but doesn't arrive, who do we address our claims for compensation to ?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
According to the forecast we are in fur winter’s cauld blast next week. Sunny perhaps but below freezing at nights and not much better during the day.
Just looked out my long johns for under my bikesters.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Having crashed a car on ice, I can tell you that in hindsight I'd have paid a LOT for tyres that would have saved me that night!

Therein lies a problem. Winter tyres are not miracle workers and won't magically give you grip on ice. They may well be better than normal tyres, but they're not going to beat the laws of physics. The problem being that some drivers believe they can drive in their normal manner on icy/snowy roads because they have winter tyres fitted. The results are predictable, especially for those in their rear wheel drive BMW's.......

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Therein lies a problem. Winter tyres are not miracle workers and won't magically give you grip on ice. They may well be better than normal tyres, but they're not going to beat the laws of physics. The problem being that some drivers believe they can drive in their normal manner on icy/snowy roads because they have winter tyres fitted. The results are predictable, especially for those in their rear wheel drive BMW's.......

Indeed winter tyre measurably improve your grip in snow, meanwhile on ice margining improve grip from really shite to shite.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
There was an annual cyclocross race at Glengorm Castle 5 miles from my house about this weekend. It was nearly always hard frost and the journey out there over untreated roads was “ interesting “ to say the least.
I was one half of the timekeeping team before electronic timing came in so was out there early regardless of weather.

Sallar55

Veteran
Really, my sister is going to put our heating on . Says it's going down to -6 in places.

There was an annual cyclocross race at Glengorm Castle 5 miles from my house about this weekend. It was nearly always hard frost and the journey out there over untreated roads was “ interesting “ to say the least.
I was one half of the timekeeping team before electronic timing came in so was out there early regardless of weather.

This stuff makes me laugh; all the recent imposition of safety signage, PPE etc during bike races, and yet the largest clear risk is from participants driving to/from the event!
Apologies for picking on you, and bless you for giving your time :notworthy:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
This stuff makes me laugh; all the recent imposition of safety signage, PPE etc during bike races, and yet the largest clear risk is from participants driving to/from the event!
Apologies for picking on you, and bless you for giving your time :notworthy:

Once electronics took over my timekeeping duties I seemed to be in charge of car parking and advising people where they could find a space. Most of the participants came from the mainland so cars and vans were much in evidence. Entries so far as I remember were well over 100 so lots of vehicles.

Top Bottom