Misinformation Factsheet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
My dad who lives "across the bridge" in Cardiff was sent a leaflet outlining some of the policy

One major gap in the explanation is that it says the default town speed limit will be 20mph (and I've no great issue with that), and this is apparent by street lights and so on unless there are repeater signs saying different. So far reasonably sensible and just like we're accostomed to for 30mph .

However it half implies but doesn't quite say, say that signposted 30mph would therefore be 20mph, nor does it clarify that only once new 20mph signs will go up - but surely not across wales in one long night of road gangs ?

Some 30mph will remain and be properly signed with repeaters, so there's an implication that if you pass a 30mph it will somehow become 20mph if you don't see a repeater sign for a bit. This would be crazy if true, but none of the faq say that is't the case. The faq says nothing about a programme to change the signs at which point the new limit comes in either

Part of the problem is with people not knowing how soon they can change up gears. They assume that they have to reach a certain number of revs before they change up
In reality the car works just fine at a much lower rev count when you change up

Hence people assume that to do 20 mph they will have to be in 2nd or 3rd gear - whereas in my car the computery thing says it is just fine at 20 when I go to see the grandkids where they have made the main road 20

Of course, if I actually do only 20 mph I generally get someone behind me getting annoyed!

Alex321

Veteran
My dad who lives "across the bridge" in Cardiff was sent a leaflet outlining some of the policy

One major gap in the explanation is that it says the default town speed limit will be 20mph (and I've no great issue with that), and this is apparent by street lights and so on unless there are repeater signs saying different. So far reasonably sensible and just like we're accostomed to for 30mph .

However it half implies but doesn't quite say, say that signposted 30mph would therefore be 20mph, nor does it clarify that only once new 20mph signs will go up - but surely not across wales in one long night of road gangs ?

The signs are already up, but covered over. All they have to do next Sunday is remove the covers.

Some 30mph will remain and be properly signed with repeaters, so there's an implication that if you pass a 30mph it will somehow become 20mph if you don't see a repeater sign for a bit. This would be crazy if true, but none of the faq say that is't the case. The faq says nothing about a programme to change the signs at which point the new limit comes in either

The FAQ is about the effects, not on the mechanism of implementation.

There are quite a lot of current 30 limits which ae going to remain 30, with a lot more that will be changing. As I say, they have already erected the sigs for the new limits, over the last few weeks. Where existing 30 limits are going to change, the new signs are a few yards from the old ones, and I presume they will uncover the hew ones and cover the old ones on that one night, then remove the old ones over a period afterwards.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I read elsewhere that the signs are already going up, but covered. All it will need on the day is the covers moving, which I suspect there's enough officers to do.

Well, isn't that already the case with 40/50/60 mph speed limit areas with street lights? In practice, speeding offences aren't prosecuted if the signs on entry to the area are incorrect.

OP
OP
presta

presta

Guru
Last week the Welsh Govt posted a Tweet reminding people that the stopping distance from 30mph is twice that of 20. Cue hordes of morons claiming that's nonsense because stopping distance depends on brake performance and driver reaction time as well.

Drago

Legendary Member
I though the Swedes phased it in gradually over several week: cars first, then vans, lorries and finally buses

It took 5 years of planning and they had less than 1.5 million motor vehicles on the road compared to the UKs 40.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom