Missiles flying from the tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Yesterday i had two incidents with "road shrapnel". The first was when i flat circular metal object about the size of a 50p piece flew from the back tyre and clanged against a parked up van. The second was when a stone fired up from the front wheel hitting me on the inside of the right knee then pinging against the top tube. Anyone else had similar experiences?

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Yep. It's generally good confirmation that the tyres are pumped up to a reasonable pressure :laugh:.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I've had stones fly off and hit cars a few times. One time it pinged up and hit the side window as I filtered past at low speed up hill. The driver thought I had hit her car.
I'm not sure what the legal possition is if the stone cracks the windscreen?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yesterday i had two incidents with "road shrapnel". The first was when i flat circular metal object about the size of a 50p piece flew from the back tyre and clanged against a parked up van. The second was when a stone fired up from the front wheel hitting me on the inside of the right knee then pinging against the top tube. Anyone else had similar experiences?
Some days its like playing Tiddleywinks maybe we could start a league table :whistle:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Yep. It's generally good confirmation that the tyres are pumped up to a reasonable pressure :laugh:.

got tubs and sprints on one of my bikes at the mo and the amount of pinging they do is great

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Once upon a time, roads got swept of loose objects, perhaps to prevent just these sort of events.

There's a junction I use regularly where, due to the road being top-dressed (rather badly), drifts of loose chippings accumulate. Sometimes when someone's car accelerates sharply through the drift, a flurry of pea-sized chippings get flung at anyone nearby, including me.

If I ask the local authority to sweep them up, eventually they do, but the idea of regular maintenance seems to be a fading memory.

Sorry; didn't mean to turn this into a moaning thread. IGMC.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have had stones and whatnot ping off from my tyres. I have also been pung by stones fired from car tyres, or is it pinged? The car driver couldn't give a stuff if he or she damages me so I am not that fussed that stones might hit another vehicle.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
I've had stones fly off and hit cars a few times. One time it pinged up and hit the side window as I filtered past at low speed up hill. The driver thought I had hit her car.
I'm not sure what the legal possition is if the stone cracks the windscreen?
Act of god.
So it is the churches fault

Top Bottom