Mobile Phone Decisions....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Melvil

....so my Pay as You Go mobile has finally gone to the great base station in the sky.

Wondering whether to go on a contract now...however, I don't like the look of 24 month ones!

I'm looking to have some free minutes every month, a nice phone that can actually do the internet if required but not necessarily an iphone and not totally cheap but too much cost.

Anyone out there on any deals like that?

Take a look at the new Palm pre.

Bigtwin

I've never had a contract, as I use the mobile bugger all for outgoing - I'm either in the office or at home mostly, and in between I'm on push or motorbike and don't want to speak to anyone. Plus I'm widely hated so get few calls.

I have PAYG Virgin and O2 (free Sim with free mins with a printer, the latter!). Until the last 2 months I never had an "offer" from either. Now however, I get at last 2 a week - free texts and mins for this and that. I guess I top up £10 every other month now, if that. Just finished a month of free calls and texts unlimited with the O2 one.

I'd say that unless you are one of those people who need the bloody thing stuck to their ear 24/7, stay PAYG - they are falling over themselves to give you stuff currently.

For a phone, I got a Nokia business phone off fLeablag as I have a cradle in the car from an old company phone I had. £35 as new, full of functionality, 3 day battery min, you can - I have - bounch it off a flagstone floor without adverse effects - job done.

Wolf04

My shiny new Nokia 5800 arrives on Monday. All singing all dancing 3G, music, GPS and internet. It gets good reviews. Unfortunately although it has the appropriate software it can't sync with work's exchange server, something to do with security policies. Nokia's published answer is to reduce the server security :-( Oh well 3rd party app here I come. Beats having another windows mobile.

My contract with three was coming to an end inone month and was goingto go to asda mobile pay as you go until I saw a nokia E71 with unlimited internet and texts (except they arelimited but it's all in the terms) and 200 free minutes any network any time. £20 a month and the phone is free. It also has a wi-fi adapter like my old one and as it has a qwerty keyboard it's nice. Doesn't do video messaging I don'tthink but I never used it. We support mobile computing at work so tis good for that also.

peanut

have a look at the Nokia 5800 nice camera fone with excellent Mp3 player video photos , GPS , internet emails etc nearly 3" touch screen
I got 2x on a 18month £15.00 month taffif with 600mins and unlimited texts .
http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobile-phone/nokia-5800

Wolf you'll love the 5800. Don't forget to sync with your old fone to transfer all your contacts ring tones etc.

Wolf04

peanut said:
Wolf you'll love the 5800. Don't forget to sync with your old fone to transfer all your contacts ring tones etc.

This seems to be my main problem. The 5800 won't sync with exchange server. I've transferred my contacts(basic stuff) to the sim card to get me going until I solve the problem. Roadsync seems to be the answer.

colly

Re member eR
I guess it depends on just what you need your phone to do and how much you actually use it.

I got a new Samsung S3500 for £8.50 a month from Virgin on 18mths contract. Includes 100 minutes and 100 texts, which, for me, is more than enough.
It's got a camera, radio, mp3 player, web access (although I don't use it) all the usual bits and pieces. Not the best phone in the world but it does the job ok.

1 Your nice new cutting edge phone is going to be a pikey common brick in about six months time. Buy a phone that does what you want it to do not what you want to be seen with (unless you are a pathetic shallow nurd)
2 Work out the cost of your pay as you go use for the last year. If someone then wants to tie you in to commit to a similar amout of use, to my mind they should give you something extra for your commitment. It will be mad to pay more and have an unneccesary tie in.

3. Do you really want to go on the internet and look at a tiny screen at a slow speed for lots of cost? And look a bit of a tosser while you do it?

Top Bottom