Modern BBs are rubbish

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User6179

It's fitted as a cheap option,^_^

Yep but not when you have to replace it , the price then seems to multiply at a LBS .

Mines has the metal insert and the plastic housing fits into that , had it on two frames , 8000 miles on the first one and was still ok , at about 10000 miles on second frame and BB still fine and I give it some abuse , went through about 10 external BBs on my winter bikes in less miles .

The Cervelos were famous for cracking around the BB shells , I guess they decided to remove the metal insert to solve this !?

zacklaws

Guru
My first BB90, only lasted 3500 miles and told that was excellent in the LBS. After that I decided to remove the chain set every wet ride, dry and regrease the BB, Did it work, no, the second one lasted 1900 miles and told by the LBS that was good, third one lasted just over a 1000 miles and it was emmiting a high pitch squeel which I thought was birds singing till I asked someone what that noise was and they said it was my f******g bike. Checking the BB, non side drive full of water and rusting away despite being packed with grease on the outside.

As the bearing are only about £6 each, I have took the plunge to fit them myself now I see how easy they are to fit, as the LBS charges about £50 to replace them including labour, my £70+ spent on the two tools I need should pay for themselves very quick

I disagree:smile:, well I think we are both correct as my carbon bike and a lot of carbon bikes have a metal insert inside the BB so its not there because of the carbon shell plus the PF is now fitted in some Ally bikes with no carbon .
I said carbon BB shell. Yours has an aluminium BB shell. Earlier carbon bikes even had screw-in BBs because of the aluminium insert. However, these inserts have huge problems with galvanic corrosion. We have written about that here before.

My first BB90, only lasted 3500 miles and told that was excellent in the LBS. After that I decided to remove the chain set every wet ride, dry and regrease the BB, Did it work, no, the second one lasted 1900 miles and told by the LBS that was good, third one lasted just over a 1000 miles and it was emmiting a high pitch squeel which I thought was birds singing till I asked someone what that noise was and they said it was my f******g bike. Checking the BB, non side drive full of water and rusting away despite being packed with grease on the outside.

As the bearing are only about £6 each, I have took the plunge to fit them myself now I see how easy they are to fit, as the LBS charges about £50 to replace them including labour, my £70+ spent on the two tools I need should pay for themselves very quick
Those bearings are non-standard ones. Did you use the Enduro replacement system?

BTW, grease does not make a watertight seal, as you discovered. These BB bearings fail not because of lack of lubrication but because of flex in the crank shaft when torque is applied from the lefty and the subsequent out-of-track running of the bearing on that side. It needs a angular contact bearing in that application but that, I suppose would make the weight weenies squirm, it may just weigh a gram or two more.

simongt

Guru
Recently had to replace two BB units on the good lady wife's bikes; one a run of the mill cartridge unit. That was easy; out with the shot one, grease all the threads of the new one and Robert's yer father's brother - !:dance:The other, being a British Eagle was of the traditional BB style and somehow it was a lot more fun. Had to lay the bike on it's side and apply WD40 before I could get the fixed cup out. But then after cleaning the accumulated crap off the frame threads, applying LOADS of teflon grease to anything to do with the unit put in the new fixed cup, bearings and races, axle, l/h cup and play around with said cup and locking ring, the whole thing gave a better feeling of satisfaction.^_^

Yes, they are Enduro, all three sets. Enduro MR2437 LLB.
Aha. The sly trick performed by Shimano and the likes is to make the bearing's thickness 1mm shorter but use the same standard bearing code - 6805 IIRC, on the seal, so you think you can just replace but you cannot. Enduro is a life-saver. Over the course of five years I must have replaced 1 000 BB bearings with the Enduro system. Thereis one caveat however. Only some Shimano BBs can be "serviced" like that.

zacklaws

Guru
Aha. The sly trick performed by Shimano and the likes is to make the bearing's thickness 1mm shorter but use the same standard bearing code - 6805 IIRC, on the seal, so you think you can just replace but you cannot. Enduro is a life-saver. Over the course of five years I must have replaced 1 000 BB bearings with the Enduro system. Thereis one caveat however. Only some Shimano BBs can be "serviced" like that.

Its a post full of riddles!!!

"Aha" what do you mean by this? is it right or wrong to use Enduro bearings in a BB90?

Do you mean, the bearings thickness is 1mm "thinner", not 1mm shorter and are we reffering about diameter or depth?

"so you think you can just replace but you cannot" Why cannot you replace?

Why is Enduro a life saver?

"Only some Shimano BBs can be "serviced" like that." "Serviced" like what?

Its a post full of riddles!!!

"Aha" what do you mean by this? is it right or wrong to use Enduro bearings in a BB90?

Do you mean, the bearings thickness is 1mm "thinner", not 1mm shorter and are we reffering about diameter or depth?

"so you think you can just replace but you cannot" Why cannot you replace?

Why is Enduro a life saver?

"Only some Shimano BBs can be "serviced" like that." "Serviced" like what?

Aha means that you did what I expected. It is an exclamation I expressed after you gave us a bit more info on how you managed to change the bearings in your BB cup. You said you just replaced the bearings but did not tell us how. You cannot just go out and buy a new bearing for the BB based on the code printed on the seal. Bearing codes are universal. For instance, a 6805 bearing has very specific dimensions it has an ID of 25mm, an OD of 37mm and a width of 7mm. This is absolutely standard and all manufacturers use the same code, albeit sometimes with an extra digit in front to indicate one or other proprietary feature of the bearing. Then, the second part of the code indicates the type of seal on the bearing. RS2 for instance means there is a rubber seal on each side of the bearing. RS means just one side and ZZ means it has to metal shields - one on either side.

Now along comes Johnny and opens his BB to replace the bearing inside. He takes the plastic cup off and sees inside that it is an 6805 RS/2 bearing. Bingo! he thinks and goes to the bearing shop and buys two 6805 RS/2 bearings. He fits them and finds that they are 1mm too thick (wide). He double-checks the code and sees that he did not make a mistake, he used the right code. He then measures the old bearing which is marked as 6805 and sees that it is only 6mm wide. Puzzled, he gives up.

What Shimano did is design a proprietary bearing for their BBs which has the same ID and OD as a 6805 but is 6mm wide instead of 7mm. Yet, being devious, they kept the seal (codes are always printed on the seal) that says 6805.

The Enduro bearing company is big enough to also order proprietary sizes and designed their own bearing to fit in there. Enduro is a great system but, the dramatic drop in price in BB cups from Shimano about two years ago means that it isn't really economical to use them anymore.

I said you think you can just replace, but you cannot because of the 6805 coding confusion created by Shimano.

Enduro is a life-saver (not literally) because it gave us an option in the days gone by for servicing a BB cup. By servicing the cup I mean replace the bearing and clean the threads etc.

Only some Shimano BBs can be serviced using the Enduro system. Shimano has two styles of screw-in BB cups and one of them uses a bearing that even Enduro doesn't make.

Does that help?

Last edited:
Top Bottom