Motorway Road Rage - Brits are idiots when they arrive at roadworks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Thinking about this in the context of a real-life scenario, in my case the three or four times a year trip down to the west country, I have many times, waiting in line to get past Stonehenge, wondered why we are all doing 2MPH rather than 30MPH.

There's a pinch point, a one-lane stretch of road through which cars go in single file at a crawl. Beyond that point, the open road, with cars immediately able to return to 50MPH or whatever. Given that the road beyond the pinchpoint is completely clear, why don't/can't all cars go through it at, say, 30MPH? The only answer I can think of is inefficient merging, which builds on itself, reinforcing the delays, and ending up with the net result: a crawling pinch point, with a big reservoir of cars backed up behind it, and a trickle coming out the other end.

I wonder if one day, when Google's driverless cars have become universal, with cars not only driving themselves independently with maximum efficiency, but communicating wirelessly in real time so that the entire 'car universe' works cooperatively to maximise efficiency, such pinch points would if not disappear (there's always going to be potential for a fundamental mismatch between the demand for any given road capacity and the amount of road capacity available) at least have their negative effects minimised, by cars merging flawlessly, like teeth in a zipper.

(Sits back and waits for somebody who understands maths/mechanics to explain a) how wrong he is, and b) how stupid he is not to see it, using logic and language he will c) fortunately be too dumb to grasp.)

Indeed, you have it to a T. The problem is that the muppets rush to the front to try and get in front of everyone else instead of merging properly. Someone else has mentioned 'merge zones', trouble is that they are rarely marked.

[QUOTE 3660879, member: 45"]I take it you've not seen the picture earlier in the thread which describes what you're suggesting but without the twist you're trying to put on it to suggest that it was your argument?

So what you're doing now is arguing against what we've all been saying, using the argument that we've all been saying.[/QUOTE]

(Original version restored - was being edited when quoted
The position all along is that last minute merging is counter productive and so is "merging at the front"

The post makes it clear that merging at the front is not accepted as part of these schemes, and cites it as being dangerous

Any other interpretation is entirely your imagination, please feel free to imagine

Oh dear, you don't seem to have the hang of these forums.

The idea is that someone posts something (In this case ThreebikesMcGinty) and the next post is a reply to that..... as happened here

Any other interpretation is entirely up to you

Last edited:
[QUOTE 3660900, member: 45"]No imagination, I quoted your part of the "early as possible" argument this morning. You're doing that nobber thing again. Please keep it in your helmet threads.[/QUOTE]

My apologies - I was editing when you quoted....

Please answer the points raised rather than resorting to the infant school mentality

Is last minute merging at the point of the obstruction:
a. Safe?
b. Dangerous, causes accidents and delays as cited?

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
[QUOTE 3660897, member: 45"]So we have to have instructions then. If the place to merge is towards the front, once the "polite" drivers have created a long queue, it's not possible to get to the proper merge point without angering the "polite" drivers.[/QUOTE]

There is always a long queue, whether it is one lane or two or even more. It is difficult for the driver, who doesn't have a satellite view, to figure out where he should be merging. It is better for the merge to take place between two queues of cars than at the front where someone is 'pushing in'.

There is always a long queue, whether it is one lane or two or even more. It is difficult for the driver, who doesn't have a satellite view, to figure out where he should be merging. It is better for the merge to take place between two queues of cars than at the front where someone is 'pushing in'.

Which is why in the US they have (enforced in some cases) merge zones at variable distances, determined by the engineers NOT the drivers. They are clearly signed and marked

As with many things the drivers are often unable to drive properly without guidance, and aggressive driving is the biggest issue

Tin Pot

Guru
[QUOTE 3655342, member: 45"]Merge in turn, at the front of the queue.....

[/QUOTE]
Guy in front deserves to die,
Or at least be severely maimed.

[QUOTE 3743235, member: 259"]There's an interview with the farmer in the Grauniad. The dog is still saying nothing.

Tom-Hamilton-and-his-dog--008.jpg
[/QUOTE]
I'm concerned that shepherds crook has gone all modern. When did that happen.

Top Bottom