Moulton TSR2 belt - what next?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ecotom

Hi,

After drooling for a while, I succumbed to eBay fever and bought a used Moulton TSR 2 belt drive.

I loved it. Fun, comfy, efficient. Only now the belt has lost it's teeth, and they are discontinued. Gates carbon belts do a different belt and conversion may be possible for 300+ Euros - parts only, and if the bits fit.

What should I do? Will the Gates conversion work? Convert to chain instead? More gears would be nice, but I also liked being able to quickly take it apart and chuck in a car if needed.

My partner is rolling her eyes and asking how much it will all cost.

Help!

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Hi,

After drooling for a while, I succumbed to eBay fever and bought a used Moulton TSR 2 belt drive.

I loved it. Fun, comfy, efficient. Only now the belt has lost it's teeth, and they are discontinued. Gates carbon belts do a different belt and conversion may be possible for 300+ Euros - parts only, and if the bits fit.

What should I do? Will the Gates conversion work? Convert to chain instead? More gears would be nice, but I also liked being able to quickly take it apart and chuck in a car if needed.

My partner is rolling her eyes and asking how much it will all cost.

Help!
eBay to the rescue again? The Gates belt system was updated as it needed a ridiculous amount of tension on some bikes and even then would skip. Reviews and reports say the new system is brilliant.

I'm sure there'll be NOS belts about or even third party suppliers. Try contacting Gates direct, I found them very helpful when I had a belt drive bike.
A conversion to chain drive will be cheap as chips and you'll not notice much difference tbh.

Edit: I seem to remember a conversation with Gates rep and was told the new CDX belts would run on the old CDC transmission. But I may be mistaken.

Last edited:
Top Bottom