Mounting things

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
If the computer falls easily within your line of sight then it looks like a neat idea.

Have you looked at 'out front' mountings?

OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

No, I'm not sure what an "out front" mounting is?

I'm curious, as to how a good a replacement for the stem cap it would be, is it as secure? Don't see any reason it shouldn't be, just curious.

G3CWI

Veteran
Dont forget that you can mount some things (lights) underneath your bars. Does not work with phones/computers (obviously)...

zacklaws

Guru
As I mentioned in a post elsewhere about running out of mounting space on my handlebars, I'm curious as to whether anyone has used one of these: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-fixer-66-bracket-for-phone-bags-etc/

From what I can gather, it replaces the stem cap and allows for the mounting of "bits and bobs". I'm thinking it could be a handy place to relocate my computer to.

Thoughts?

I saw something similar the other day which had a small extension bar on and thought it was a good idea, till I realised their was no advantage in having one, all it does is stops me mounting my Garmin Edge on the stem, so in effect its replacing one mounting space with another mounting space with no gain and makes life even more complicated, unless your happy riding with it all the time, it means having to mess about with your steering everytime you fit it and remove it and also the additional problem of aligning it to your steering as well as your front wheel and bars.

What I use is a Minoura Space Mount SG400-Short:-

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/minoura-space-mount-sg-400-short-extension-prod32043/

So I have my Edge on the stem, Cycling computer on the RH side of the bars, Space mount on the LH side of the bars with the map board and front light mounted on it, and when it comes to removing it, I can do so in a minute of two or two with everything still attached.

But I have found that it needs fixing down tight as it has a habit of coming loose on the bars and even threadlock on a small screw that holds it together.

It does what I want, now that I know its faults, and their probably is better on the market similar.

If you look through the following, you may see something better or what may match what your looking for:-

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessory-fitting-brackets-dept785/

+1 for the Minoura space-grip

chewa

plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens
+2 for the space grip.

I've got an older version and I use it to mount my lights (flashing and steady) in front of the bar and slightly below it. This has advantages as (since I have the longer stem version) the lights are visible from the side as they extend beyond my hand position just to the level of the brake lever blades, and it prevents any electrical interference with my cyclocomputer. My old Lumicycles used to cause weird readings if the wiring was near the 'puter, though my Garmin 800 seems not to be affected.

It means that I can have the Garmin on the stem or on the bar (I have it on the bar as it's easier to read)

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
- 1 for the Space grip.
There are some nice easy to fit, light T Bar extenders on eBay that cost about £15 less!
Just type in Handlebar Extension. They can be mounted in either vertical or horizontal and don't vibrate or rattle.I have been using them on my trikes for the last 2 years.

Top Bottom