England : Cheshire Mow Cop Castle anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclist33

I have developed a fantasy about a relaxed group ride (a la Off For A Jodd 2011) from Warrington to the pub atop Mow Cop and back, a mainly circular route with the last ten miles or so the same as the first ten outbound but in reverse. (Obviously.) The ride would take in Knutsford, Middlewich, Swettenham, Scholar Green, Sandbach, Lostock Gralam and Antrobus.

Distance looks about 80 miles. The pub would be at the end of the "Killer Mile" which is apparently something to get one's teeth into before earning a sunday roast. It would be 35-40 miles back to the railway station after that.

Anyone interested in doing this some time in the autumn? I would really need someone/people to act as leaders because a) I'm not experienced enough and b) I'm not quick enough. But I have worked out the provisional route.

Cheers

Stu

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I might be up for it. How long do you think it will take to get round?

What is the total elevation gain on the provisional route?

BTW, There is a hill climb on the 14th October organised by Lyme Racing Club (I was thinking about entering, still making my mind up, esp as there is another hill climb up Holme Moss organised by Glossop Kinder Velo on the Saturday that a couple of us may be entering :tongue:), so you would want to be careful about what date you choose, or at least what time you hit Mow Cop because it would be bad form to be wobbling about falling off and possibly holding people up or whatever while people are trying to race up it as fast as possible. Could ride out and spectate and cheer them (possibly me) on though, then go up when all is clear! Not sure of the start time will check now.

Edit, start time is 10:00am Expect a rider to go every 1 minute from 10am until all riders have gone. I would expect times of like 6-10 mins on that climb, maybe longer depending on the field.

Click here for more details.
http://www.lymeracingclub.com/cms/index.php/news-blog/136-lyme-rc-mow-cop-hill-climb

400bhp

Guru
I'm interested. If it's 80 miles and a relaxed pace, then you'll need an early start to avoid cycling in the dark.

sunrise sunset times here: 10 and a bit hours of daylight in mid October.

And, if doing Mow Cop, then you have to ride past the pub first to get to the top, otherwise it's cheating :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Cyclist33

Cyclist33

I might be up for it. How long do you think it will take to get round?

What is the total elevation gain on the provisional route?

BTW, There is a hill climb on the 14th October organised by Lyme Racing Club (I was thinking about entering, still making my mind up, esp as there is another hill climb up Holme Moss organised by Glossop Kinder Velo on the Saturday that a couple of us may be entering :tongue:), so you would want to be careful about what date you choose, or at least what time you hit Mow Cop because it would be bad form to be wobbling about falling off and possibly holding people up or whatever while people are trying to race up it as fast as possible. Could ride out and spectate and cheer them (possibly me) on though, then go up when all is clear! Not sure of the start time will check now.

Edit, start time is 10:00am Expect a rider to go every 1 minute from 10am until all riders have gone. I would expect times of like 6-10 mins on that climb, maybe longer depending on the field.

Click here for more details.
http://www.lymeracingclub.com/cms/index.php/news-blog/136-lyme-rc-mow-cop-hill-climb

1. Including lunch, and assuming the killer mile takes a bit of time, 7-8 hours, though I daresay we'd be quicker on the day. The route would also include a cut through a bridleway crossing the River Dane, which I've done on 28mm slicks and have done rougher on my 23mm's, but that people might prefer to walk, which is about 10-15 minutes.
2. Mapmyride says the total elevation is 0.0m, so there goes that estimate! I've done pretty much all the route except the climb before and none of it is particularly taxing hills-wise.
3. Noted on the hill race issue. Like I said, not really thought of dates or owt yet, it's still a fantasy!

OP
OP
Cyclist33

Cyclist33

Where's a bouts are u I am in alsager

Jammy goits.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
1. Including lunch, and assuming the killer mile takes a bit of time, 7-8 hours, though I daresay we'd be quicker on the day. The route would also include a cut through a bridleway crossing the River Dane, which I've done on 28mm slicks and have done rougher on my 23mm's, but that people might prefer to walk, which is about 10-15 minutes.
2. Mapmyride says the total elevation is 0.0m, so there goes that estimate! I've done pretty much all the route except the climb before and none of it is particularly taxing hills-wise.
3. Noted on the hill race issue. Like I said, not really thought of dates or owt yet, it's still a fantasy!

Consider me a maybe, depends on Saturday hill climbs and club runs, would be able to declare if I am in or out once a date is ball parked.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
For anyone who's wanting to do it another time, the Cheshire Cat Medium & Long routes go up Mow Cop too. Get up without putting a foot down and there's a medal in it.

I've got mine :thumbsup:

Top Bottom