MTb rider over the bars in front of me about half an hour ago

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

:sad:

I followed him through a pinch point nice and steady biding my time to pass him when we got clear (been shopping in the car with my O/H), heavy rain and standing water, he was an adult in a football kit so probably been doing 5 a side or similar, he weaved in and out of some puddles, and then hit a big pothole (which was full of water)..tried to save it, but the front dug in and he went straight over the bars. He jumped up and waived to me as if to say he was OK, but he clearly wasn't :sad:. He dragged his bike onto the pavement and started pushing it after I stopped the traffic and put the hazards on. He appeared to be very embarrassed as he binned it right along side the stationary cars waiting to come through the other way.

No idea how bad he was hurt as he was obviously running on adrenaline.
I'll be glad when they sort them all out..it could have been a lot worse.

Last edited:

ScotiaLass

Guru
Oh dear :sad:
I think people's first reactions are as you described purely due to the embarrassment factor.
Personally, if I hit the ground I wouldn't be able to move so I'd have to lay there and suck it up!
I do hope he's okay this evening.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Ouch. It's the one thing I really don't want to do. Last time I went OTB when I was about 10, I ended up with half a tooth less.

He'll be pretty shocked and shaky for a bit I would imagine, could have been much worse.

buggi

Bird Saviour
well a girl at work reported this today. She uses a cycle path that is currently underwater. The peds put bricks there to use as stepping stones which were under the waterline and she came a cropper last night and double puncture. Council have duly been informed and on the case

sazzaa

I have puddle fear after a mate was competing in a duathlon and encountered a huge water filled pothole at speed, putting her clean over the handlebars and landing on the back of her helmet...

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

I have puddle fear after a mate was competing in a duathlon and encountered a huge water filled pothole at speed, putting her clean over the handlebars and landing on the back of her helmet...
He wasn't wearing one and it happened so fast, i have no idea if he banged his head. He was doing 10-12mph so it would have hurt a lot if he did.

sazzaa

I think he'd be shaken for a while after that. I'm absolutely dreading a proper 'over the handlebars' incident.

sazzaa

It's that split second feeling of 'oh s**t' as you know you can't do anything about it, happened to me twice in the last 12-18 months :blush:

I've experienced that feeling on a snowboard a few times, it's not fun and even worse that it seems to happen in slow motion! I'd rather hit the snow than hit a road or a moving car though...

Top Bottom