MTBs on Bridleways

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Walking part of the Pennine Way last week, noticed one section that had been traversed by MTBs.
Brought to mind the row that broke out some years back about which was more detrimental to the bridleway surface; walker's boots or knobbly MTB tyres.
As this is something that would be very difficult to quantify with any sort of meaningful testing, wondered if anyone had any thoughts on the matter - ? :whistle:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
All depends on numbers. Generally walkers are causing more erosion.

Drago

Legendary Member
And it's inappropriate use by all parties that does the worst damage. If its been raining for 9 weeks solid you're going to damage the surface no matter how careful you are.

Walkers do the incremental damage in the good weather, horses churn it up and make it unusable for everyone else in the bad weather, and us cyclists are stuck in the middle generally doing the least damage but suffering the most from the effects of the other user groups, and getting blamed by them into the bargain.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Was it bridleway or footpath? I thought the Pennine way was mostly footpath so bicycle use would be prohibited? In which case the MTBs shouldn't be there, full stop.
That's what I was going to point out! There is a Pennine Bridleway, but that isn't the same thing. They run close to each other round here but I'm not sure if many sections of them coincide?

I have seen MTBs on the Pennine Way lots of times though, for example at Stoodley Pike. The Pennine Bridleway is further down the steep hillside from there, parallel to the PW.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Was it bridleway or footpath? I thought the Pennine way was mostly footpath so bicycle use would be prohibited? In which case the MTBs shouldn't be there, full stop.

Whilst I observe footpaths generally, there is little to deter cyclist from footpaths since it is only a civil offence of trespass, so any offender would have to be identified and sued for damages.

There is a footpath near me that I will use - it is effectively a common law bridlepath since it is used as such as it avoids the use of a dangerous road and I’ve never had any issue with other users along it.

geocycle

Legendary Member
I use a ratio of 1:10:100 for impact of people:bicycle:motor vehicles. This is an estimate from a student dissertation and is probably about right although there are lots of variables.

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
But also, bear in mind that when part of a footpath / bridleway gets muddy, folk tend to walk round the muddy bit so they don't get their pretty designer footwear dirty, thus incrementally and unnecessarily widening and thus damaging the area around the actual path. :dry:
On a footpath near Bakewell, the area around the stile had become very muddy, so folk took to clambering over the dry stone wall thus collapsing it. so others have subsequently followed. :wacko:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
But also, bear in mind that when part of a footpath / bridleway gets muddy, folk tend to walk round the muddy bit so they don't get their pretty designer footwear dirty, thus incrementally and unnecessarily widening and thus damaging the area around the actual path. :dry:
On a footpath near Bakewell, the area around the stile had become very muddy, so folk took to clambering over the dry stone wall thus collapsing it. so others have subsequently followed. :wacko:

indeed and thus why duck boards etc are used on popular paths to prevent such erosion, but take a lot of time to initially install.

albion

Guru
Sustrans 1 in County Durham south from Wingate is currently being gravelled/repaired.
Horses are leaving massive clumps in their wake which does not bode fantastically well long term

Top Bottom