Roads you can ride on, but really shouldn’t

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
On Tuesday & Wednesday evening I have seen two people cycling on the A19/A168 just to the south of Thirsk, it was pitch black and they did at least have a faint red rear light & an orange hi vis work hoody, but really, riding bikes on there, anyone who knows that road will know it’s a motorway in all but name, cars travelling well over the 70 limit and also its busy with vans & HGV’s travelling south from Tyneside, Teesside to join the A1/M, it was scary seeing them there, I’m genuinely expecting to see on the local news that they’ve been killed , it was definitely an I see it, but i don’t believe it moment, why on earth do people take such stupid risks

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Erm ... :hello:

I time-trialled on the A19/A168 this year, as did son no. 2, on a 25 mile TT. We added extra rear lights just in case even though it was early on a bright Sunday morning. I've done a 50 on it as well which uses a long stretch north then southbound.

Other stupidly busy roads we've raced on include the A46 dual-carriageway (I'm so daft I did it twice) and son no. 2 plus a few others took a shortcut on the A1 near Grantham this summer after a race.

Oh, and I've used the A55 from Holyhead on the Llanfair 400 audax through to near Conwy, but only in daylight. Bit scary that, particularly when I stopped and realised my rear lights had gone flat one time. I've used the A38 a couple of times on an audax as well to short-cut longer sections.

Nothing matches the stupidity of two cyclists going the wrong way up the A1M near Ferrybridge I passed last month, with a police car pulling up as I went by, lights flashing.

Or my cycling club taking a wrong turn onto the A19/A168 as a group of about 30 a few years back because they dashed ahead and missed a vital turn. 15 miles of through-and-off at speed was required that day whilst I'd been sensible and waited for the ride leader.

Is now the wrong time to suggest you could join once of the TT's next year? :whistle:

Last edited:

Emanresu

This is one I did in Greece. You have two lanes with the *inner* lane going off to a motorway and the outer was the national road. So you had to ride on the inside edge of the outer lane with lorries on your left wanting to avoid tolls. And the fast commuter cars on your right heading for the motorway. And it was a steep downhill with a bend with you piggy in the middle.

Stupid thing was it was an official Eurovelo route. But you just have to peddle and hope.

Attachments

• Downloads.jpg
    Downloads.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 15
Our old group leader had no qualms about taking us down a busy road like the A47 if he needed a more direct route. He moved to Norfolk a few years back and after about 6 months he met up and took us to his new place by the route he found best. Straight down another section of his favourite road, the A47 and another direct to the coast A road.

OP
OP
D

DRM

Guru
Erm ... :hello:

I time-trialled on the A19/A168 this year, as did son no. 2, on a 25 mile TT. We added extra rear lights just in case even though it was early on a bright Sunday morning. I've done a 50 on it as well which uses a long stretch north then southbound.

Other stupidly busy roads we've raced on include the A46 dual-carriageway (I'm so daft I did it twice) and son no. 2 plus a few others took a shortcut on the A1 near Grantham this summer after a race.

Oh, and I've used the A55 from Holyhead on the Llanfair 400 audax through to near Conwy, but only in daylight. Bit scary that, particularly when I stopped and realised my rear lights had gone flat one time. I've used the A38 a couple of times on an audax as well to short-cut longer sections.

Nothing matches the stupidity of two cyclists going the wrong way up the A1M near Ferrybridge I passed last month, with a police car pulling up as I went by, lights flashing.

Or my cycling club taking a wrong turn onto the A19/A168 as a group of about 30 a few years back because they dashed ahead and missed a vital turn. 15 miles of through-and-off at speed was required that day whilst I'd been sensible and waited for the ride leader.

Is now the wrong time to suggest you could join once of the TT's next year? :whistle:

That’s fair enough, but on a weekday at 16:30/17:00 in mid December, it’s suicidal being on there

The A19 is the only local road I know of that bans cyclists a bit further north, once you get to Thornaby. To be fair the A19/A168 is fairly tame, straight road, hard shoulder etc. you’ve got to be a nutter to the cycle the A689 between Billingham and Stockton!

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I’ve seen people cycling on the A2 and A3.
Both of which are motorways by any other name.

Also FNRTTC went through the Rotherhithe tunnel which isn’t advisable.

Slick

Guru
Nearest busy road to me is the A9 and I don’t like even crossing it. I would never contemplate riding on it.

Not much more fun driving it, but still see some intrepid cyclists giving it a go. I quite often try and plot a safe route that would take me to Inverness as I fancy giving that a go some time.

OP
OP
D

DRM

Guru
The A19 is the only local road I know of that bans cyclists a bit further north, once you get to Thornaby. To be fair the A19/A168 is fairly tame, straight road, hard shoulder etc. you’ve got to be a nutter to the cycle the A689 between Billingham and Stockton!

There’s no hard shoulder on that bit of the dual carriage way just lay by’s every few miles, there’s a solid white line then a gap of about 0.75 meter between the road and grass verge, where they were there is one exit left to the A168 to Boroughbridge/Dishforth Airfield or next stop is the A1/M

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I avoid roads that are as described above these days, but when I was TT'ing you often used dual carriageways. The A55 around Chester wasn't the best as you had to cross a few junctions and fast traffic, and I've also ridden the A1. The A556 (Knutsford to Northwich) wasn't great fun either (and hilly for a TT) but when younger I did use it to ride to and from Wales - pre lots of route planning like we have these days - the CC Llandudno ride uses lots of scenic roads that are as quick as the direct route.

Some dual carriageways can be quite safe - e.g. the A34 from Didsbury towards Fallowfield (South Manchester) - traffic rarely got above 30 mph (40 limit), it is wide and there are few side roads - only junctions with traffic lights, so no side swipes or people pulling out on you.

Joffey

Big Dosser
On Tuesday & Wednesday evening I have seen two people cycling on the A19/A168 just to the south of Thirsk, it was pitch black and they did at least have a faint red rear light & an orange hi vis work hoody, but really, riding bikes on there, anyone who knows that road will know it’s a motorway in all but name, cars travelling well over the 70 limit and also its busy with vans & HGV’s travelling south from Tyneside, Teesside to join the A1/M, it was scary seeing them there, I’m genuinely expecting to see on the local news that they’ve been killed , it was definitely an I see it, but i don’t believe it moment, why on earth do people take such stupid risks

I live near there. The A19 is a funny one as when cycling from the west to the east there are places you HAVE to use it. I have cycled it north of Thirsk but only for a mile. Thankfully it was quiet. One thing I do notice though is they always seem to pass you in the outside lane. It’s probably safer than the other main roads around there!

Top Bottom