My 3 year old has cancer, and what I'm going to do about it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rusky

CC Addict
Big hugs all round from all of us.:hugs:

OP
OP
B

Big Jim

All good thus far. I hope the below image works. It's the bone marrow (stem cells going in)
AtFvTZiCEAAO-OA.jpg:

OP
OP
B

Big Jim

Aw bless. Hope he keeps smiling - I'm convinced that staying happy helps the body heal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
For sure.
Whilst he was having the new cells, there's something with them that made him feel sick. He was happy and smiling again within 5 mins of this picture.

Only problem is over night he got really sick and they were thinking his appendix was dicky. So emergency scans, Dr's running around, etc. But actually nothing showed up, and he's a little bit better after having some strong Anti-Biotics.

Have to say, the Dr's at the Royal Marsden are superb and when you need them, they're with you very quickly. So, it's just going to be up and down for a while like this. But hopefully (touch wood) he'll get through it.

The picture is amazing though. Because the Anthony Nolan Trust arranged for its contents to arrive, etc. Very few people in the world would have been a match for William, yet they had that person on their database and he did the donation,etc. You know what I'm trying to say. It's all very impressive and for a charity I am very grateful to them. It also shows that A bone marrow donation is literally like a blood donation, just their different cells, and it takes a little longer, etc. So signing up is a great thing to do. http://www.blood.co.uk/

OP
OP
B

Big Jim

All very best for the wee lad, and mum and dad.

RhythMick

Über Member
Unfortunately they won't accept my blood because I'm officially an asthmatic. I rarely need an inhaler and even less so since I took up cycling but hey. I wonder if they would take me as a bone marrow donor though? I'll find out.

OP
OP
B

Big Jim

Unfortunately they won't accept my blood because I'm officially an asthmatic. I rarely need an inhaler and even less so since I took up cycling but hey. I wonder if they would take me as a bone marrow donor though? I'll find out.

Sorry to hear that. A lot of people that want to (like my wife) but can't give blood, which means those of us that can have more of a responsibility imo. It's one of those things that lots of people think about, but never actually go to do it. To be honest, I think they (blood.co.uk) could make it easier by having more walk in centres, but there we go.

Worth giving Anthony Nolan a message to see what they think.

With the bone marrow database, it's all about the numbers of people on it. If so many people are on it, then you're bound to find a match between people. Also cord blood from newborns is a last call for people who can't find an adult match. So create a life, and save a life at the same time.

When I saw those stem cells going in, it's hard to believe the work that's gone into getting them there. Also the fact that very few people could ever be a match for my son.

It's incredible to think a complete stranger could have given my son something that chemical medicines can't. What an amazing thing to do.

RhythMick

Über Member
Damn, they won't put me on the bone marrow register because I'm over 40.

All I can do now it seems is donate and spread the word to under 40s.

OP
OP
B

Big Jim

Damn, they won't put me on the bone marrow register because I'm over 40.

All I can do now it seems is donate and spread the word to under 40s.

According to this, the cut off is the day before your 50th birthday if you're a blood donor (I know you're not, but it seems if you're a blood donor you have another 10 years):

http://www.nhsbt.nhs.uk/bonemarrow/qa/index.asp#whatis

I know that people older than 40 can do donations, as my little boy had a donation from someone who's between 40 and 50.

Have to be honest that I've never considered going to the ANT, as I give blood it was very easy to get it all done at that time during the same donation.
Good of you looking into it though. :smile:

OP
OP
B

Big Jim

He's currently on day 4 and doing very well. A low grade temperature, with cough, etc. But still considerably better than we'd have hoped at this stage :smile:

Top Bottom