My baby is gone!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deccoo

Beyond gutted.

My 8 week old Cannondale CAAD9 that I waited almost 3 months for got pinched today.

Cycled into London with the lady for the first time ever today as she is going to start commuting in and was going to have a potter around the South Bank. So, locked them together with a pretty decent D and kryptonite cable lock, but made an major ERROR - wanted to lock the helmets down so put the D through the front wheels/cycle rack and the cable through back wheels/helmets/frame/cycle rack. Thought had picked a good spot, 10 yards from a security guard, under a CCTV camera just down from the London Eye so busy as hell.

45mins later, return, Jess' bike is still there locked up and mine has gone! Kryptonite had been cropped and they had obviously clipped the spokes! So so annoyed with myself for not putting the D through the frames. Even more annoying as I never usually take the racer into town but use my ropey MTB. Just shows that it can only take that one time!

So, if any one sees a white 2009 Cannondale CAAD 9 with white bottle holder on the down tube, black on the seat tube, possibly a clipped spoke on the front wheel or likely a mismatching one (the back has distinctive blue ring on the tyres) please let me know!

Live and learn and safe to say will not be leaving the next one outdoors unattended ever again!

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Sorry to hear :-(

And yes, Sold Secure Gold D-lock through the frame every time - any cable-lock can be cropped in 2 seconds flat with croppers small enough to fit into a pocket, so easy to do discreetly even in the busiest area.

e-rider

crappy member
Sorry to hear :-(

And yes, Sold Secure Gold D-lock through the frame every time - any cable-lock can be cropped in 2 seconds flat with croppers small enough to fit into a pocket, so easy to do discreetly even in the busiest area.

I'm not sure about a pocket but definitely a backpack or carrier bag.

Sorry too. Mine also got stolen during one of these 'one-off' moments which makes you feel even worse and that there must be theiving ba$tards absolutely everywhere just waiting for that one mistake by the owner.

Gutted for you.. Can imagine your heart sank when you got back to where you had left it.. must admit i need to get decent gold sold secure for mine.. But when im at home it lives in the kitchen and not in the shed.. And no way im going to carry one of those gold locks out when im on a ride. too heavy/too bulky. Just make sure there is always one of us with the bikes if we go into a shop etc...
Hope the thieving scum bags get caught in the act soon....

Are you insured and going to be able to claim for it???

Davidc

Guru
Sorry to hear about it. it's a horrible feeling.

I know that if I was given 5 minutes with each of the thieves who've nicked bikes from me I'd be locked up for life afterwards!

You can lock things including bikes, put alarms on and around them, and more, but in the end if a competent thief wants your property they'll have it so don't beat yourself up too much over how you locked it, the responsibility is with the thieving lowlife scumbag that took it.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I'm not sure about a pocket but definitely a backpack or carrier bag.
A friend runs a security company, and they do demos on cable-locks. They haven't yet found one that can't be cropped in one or two goes with a simple pair of hand-croppers. Tin-snips will do most of them!

Now, could it be...

http://www.gumtree.c...4/63259244.html

£500 seems a bit too good to be true for an 2009 CAAD9 with no story!

What is the best way to go about this then to find out if this person is legit or not?!

Your right there.. that does seem a bargain for that price.... shame its not the actual bike in the pic then we cud do some more detective work...

OP
OP
D

deccoo

I know!

Trying to work out what the best thing to do now is. Have emailed Gumtree but with zero basis apart from a low price and a mismatching picture of an ultegra model instead on tiagra there isn't much to go on.

Do I start corresponding with them? Don't want to dig too much and spook them!

The timing and the price are just too convenient!

e-rider

crappy member
Stolen bikes on gumtree always use the 'stock' photo to make it more difficult for it to be identified by the owner - gumtree is full of stolen bikes and they don't seem to care about it (when I asked them about the issue a while back).

I know!

Trying to work out what the best thing to do now is. Have emailed Gumtree but with zero basis apart from a low price and a mismatching picture of an ultegra model instead on tiagra there isn't much to go on.

Do I start corresponding with them? Don't want to dig too much and spook them!

The timing and the price are just too convenient!

well end of the day you got nothing to loose by ringing them gettin little bit more info... then if you can arrange to go see it for urself if its urs just threaten to get the police straight there.. just make sure you meet somewhere busy ... and if its not yours just make an excuse and walk away...

nowt to loose all to gain... get on the phone...

update.. my update slow here just read your other post... did you note down the mobile number??? if so ring it and just say you saw the ad this morning...