My Bike Has Been Stolen HELP NEEDED

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
This is what really hurts. It's not just a machine, it feels like your memories have been stolen too.

true, that and some may recall the comedy shenanigans I had when I recently up graded all the components in October/ November last year.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I’m bloody gutted about losing this bike, I’ve ridden it around New York, Cape Town, around various parts of France including up the Champs-Élysées and around the Arc de Triomphe, I’ve ridden around Berlin, four Ride London Surrey 100’s, Luxembourg, From Paris to London and raised thousands for charities along the way. I’m thoroughly and abjectly farking pissed off.

And three FNRttC to Whitstable on it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I have put a plastic wrapped card with my mobile number in the seat tube.

That would help win an argument over the ownership of the bike if it is stolen, disguised, and spotted being sold.

Always assuming I could retrieve the card, but I reckon it would be possible to hoik it out somehow.

I also have a record of the frame number, but only because I needed it for a warranty claim.

I have just spotted this thread so I didn't know the meaning of bike shopping !
I saw an episode of Caught on Camera where a bike thief cut through a thick cable lock with a hacksaw in seconds ! I didn't know they were that vulnerable !
When I used to leave my bike at the railway station I used to remove the front wheel and lock it with the frame at the back . I felt that if anyone was going to steal it I was going to make them work for it !
I hope that your bike will be found soon .

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I saw an episode of Caught on Camera where a bike thief cut through a thick cable lock with a hacksaw in seconds ! I didn't know they were that vulnerable !
I think it must have been an especially shoot one to be done like that but cables are not strong enough for most cities IMO. A 12mm hardened D lock is the minimum, 16mm better but heavier. And check the hardening by trying to scratch it with a file because some idiots still sell D locks made of cheese. Conceal the branding just in case someone discovers a flaw in that model, plus it makes it look older, like you've used it a while without it being defeated. Proper lock the bike, with the D filled up with parking stand, frame and wheel. A cable (12mm braid of braids rope at least) is OK for the front wheel (replaceable if nicked and not worth a thief's time when there is usually someone with a worse cable lock as security for a whole bike) but I have an alarm on mine anyway. And always at least comply with your insurer's requirements if you expect them to pay out. I go further because I dislike walking or taxiing home.</braindump>

There's a list of locks that work on LFGSS but you may not need something quite as tough outside London.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
No such thing as a safe lock.

Yes there is:

Tom B

Guru
yes, doing/done both those things.

police told me yesterday that 90% of reported bike crimes to Thames Valley Police the owners do not know/have the frame number.

IMX more like 99.9%. can't ever recall anyone knowing it. I can remember countless ringing up and saying they've seen a bloke on eBay selling a the same Apollo elcommono ABC 1 with different seat, pedals, lights, wheels, grips and bars. But it must be theirs cos it's got scratches on the bar plugs. They then wonder why doors can't be kicked off to reunite them with what must obviously be theirs

Record them all on https://www.immobilise.com/
Along with IMEI numbers

Last edited:
Top Bottom