My first Pedal for Scotland.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Great report Pat, thank you and well done!

One little thing, it is queue, not cue. It took me a while to work out what you meant!
Can't you speak Italian yet? :wacko: ;)
I shall edit it later!

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

Now I thought that English wasn't your first language, but I wasn't sure and it isn't obvious from your posts! :thumbsup:
I can speak a bit of French and a very small amount of German, but no Italian...
Yes, I am a foreigner :laugh:

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
Great ride review, Pat, and I am so so sorry that I was crap and never replied to your pm or arranged to meet. I've been floored with a heavy cold/sinus infection and was so unsure about doing the ride that I was literally attaching my number at 1035 on Sunday morning as I was rolling out of the Green. We were the very last to leave and the police had let the traffic start moving up the Saltmarket.

Anyway. My alarm was set for 8am, I had a bit of breakfast and left the house about half nine and rode up Paisley Road West, coughing and spluttering and unable to breathe. We got to the People's Palace and I spent the next half an hour fannying and dithering about actually doing the ride but when I looked around at some of the people there and the bikes they were riding I figured that if they could manage on a BSO then I could on a proper road bike. (Snob!).

I enjoyed it for the most part although did get very frustrated by the behaviour of a lot of people stopping in the middle of the road, undertaking on the left, swerving and weaving without looking or using hand signals etc. I only got off and pushed up one hill and that was the one just past the Avonbridge food stop because I lost momentum due to people stopping dead in front of me. Was it really that hilly though? I did tire towards the Avonbridge and Kirkliston stops but found it reasonably easy so it either wasn't hilly or I'm better than I think. Either way, it's really given me a massive confidence boost and means that I won't aim for pancake-flat routes in the future. I'm not sure if I'd do it again next year purely because of the numbers of people and the lack of common sense shown by a lot of them. We finally got to Murrayfield just before 5pm and that included the 45 minute queue at Avonbridge and the 45 minutes spent at Drumpellier and Kirkliston.

My highlights were chatting to a man wearing a Dulwich Paragon jersey, the small girl, maybe about 8 or 9, on a child sized Spesh with her own computer who was having a ball, the cake at Avonbridge, the nice man at the Pedal on Parliament (or whatever it was) tent at Murrayfield who was very enthusiatic about me writing on a postcard, the massage and copious amounts of tea and Tunnocks. There was also an announcement about a 4 year old child completing the entire route by themselves on a fixed bike with no help and an Italian boy with muscular dystrophy who was raising money for charity. Well done them!

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

Hi Vanilla!
All during the ride I was looking out for your number: I thought you would be well in front of me, had the CChat stickers to give you!
By 5 I was already on the bus, halfway to Glasgow.
Sorry to hear you took no well, we'll meet for sure next time you come haeme.
I did not dismount at any of the hills, for sheer stubborness ^_^
I did think the route was quite hilly, but then again I did no training for it whatsoever, apart from my normal commuting.
I thought the worst hill was just before entering Edinburgh, had to sort of push a gent who was walking it out of my way, or I would have had to dismount :blush:

RWright

Guru
Very nice informative report. I have never ridden in a group ride, actually I have never ridden with another rider at all.:ohmy: The pictures and observations give me a good idea of what I can expect if I ever get a chance to do a group ride. That area looks like a nice place to ride.

Sandra6

Veteran
I'm exhausted just reading that.:smile:
I love the amount of cake that is consumed on your adventures, I think we would get on just fine.

Hi Pat,

Thats a great write up of the ride and sums up the experience well. I too did the ride with my 11 yr old son and we found it to be overall a really fun day out. The hills didn't pose too much of a challenge though we did huff and puff on the section out of avonbridge.

we did however experience the disregard some of the other riders had for others and after my son was forced into the verge by a couple of wannabe racers cutting in front of him, we lingered at Avonbridge until it had quietened down a bit. The rest of the ride from there was very enjoyable with lots of chats with other riders and a leisurley and supportive atmosphere.

We will be back again next year.

Stu

Barabus

Your travelogue was a good read Pat, thanks for sharing. I got back on a bike last year, commuting to work every day.
Really enjoying it. I'm planning to do the London to Brighton fun run this year with some family members.
I was born very near "The Green" and would love to take part the Glasgow to Edinbrugh run. Living down south now so maybe plan a jaunt up to Glasgow for it. What date does it take place ?

Top Bottom