My new bike - Genesis Croix de Fer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scook94

Veteran
Just got back from Rock&Road where I collected the first bike I've owned in over 20 years. Had a great (if knackering) time riding it home.

Here's the pic....

IMG_1284a.jpg

;) Very nice - I want one!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
These look like great bikes - I love the idea of fat tyres and discs on a drop barred bike - would make a great commutertowpathing bike imo.

MajorMantra

Very nice. I have a white Genesis Flyer with a similar frame and it's lovely. By the way, it'd be worth putting some of those protective stickers on the frame where the cable outers rub it. The original owner of my Flyer didn't so it has the inevitable marks.

Matthew

OP
OP
scook94

scook94

Veteran
Matthew, excuse my ignorance but do you mean the exposed gear cable that runs along the top tube? They currently have a couple of rubber rings the prevent them from rubbing. Where would one get the protective stickers from?

MajorMantra

scook94 said:
Matthew, excuse my ignorance but do you mean the exposed gear cable that runs along the top tube? They currently have a couple of rubber rings the prevent them from rubbing. Where would one get the protective stickers from?

I was thinking more of where the cable outers rub against the head tube. Over time, the small movement from rotating the bars will wear away some paint. The exposed gear cable may also scratch the paint (the rubber rings rarely stay in the middle in my experience) but that's harder to prevent unless you put something along the whole length of the top tube.

Decent bike shops will have the stickers. They tend to come in sheets of a variety of sizes and shapes to go on different bits of the bike. This is the sort of thing I'm talking about:

http://www.brianrourke.co.uk/alienskin-frame-protection-pack-p-1549.html

(no affiliation to, or experience with this shop)

Matthew

OP
OP
scook94

scook94

Veteran
OK, so since I got the bike I've changed the saddle, pedals and now the tyres.
I was taking a few snaps to upload to Immobilise.com and thought you might like to see how she looks now!

IMG_1299a.jpg
IMG_1301a.jpg
IMG_1303a.jpg
IMG_1304a.jpg

Top Bottom