My picture of the day-Where's yours?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Blue skies all the way but a nasty headwind on the return leg

Fotheringhay Church
IMG_5056.jpg

Winwick Church for a break for lunch
IMG_5059 Panorama.jpg

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Spring is well and truly in full swing now. The fields are a deep shade of green and there are ewes and they're lambs
20140401_115855.jpg

Beautiful photo
thank you. sadly it was all I managed to get before the battery decided otherwise, so whilst I now know how long the battery will last (around 400 shots with about half using flash) I wasn't able to get any other shots of the blossom, and suspect that it will have faded/fallen next time I am over that way, but the tree itself is heavily laden with blossom and looks amazing - it just didn't photo very well against a white cloudy skyline today!

welsh dragon

thank you. sadly it was all I managed to get before the battery decided otherwise, so whilst I now know how long the battery will last (around 400 shots with about half using flash) I wasn't able to get any other shots of the blossom, and suspect that it will have faded/fallen next time I am over that way, but the tree itself is heavily laden with blossom and looks amazing - it just didn't photo very well against a white cloudy skyline today!

I think it's really sad that blossom that lovely disappears so, quickly. Its not fair

Is that rape seed?

Yes and the smell is almost as unpleasant as the colour - tho' I recall seeing a news item last year of Japanese (I think) tourists coming over specifically to see it.

welsh dragon

Yes and the smell is almost as unpleasant as the colour - tho' I recall seeing a news item last year of Japanese (I think) tourists coming over specifically to see it.

I didn't know it smelled. I've never seen any growing.

I couldn't really describe it either Simon, to me its not a nice perfume like from say a Rose , but neither is it a cat pee smell ....well maybe nearer to that than a Rose :smile:

If you ride bridleways through it, it's quite overpowering, I found this description in a search....

In the 1970s, oilseed rape was barely known in Britain. Many people were suspicious of this alien seed which announces itself with its all-pervasive perfume, reminiscent of honey to some, cloyingly sweet and as sickly as regurgitated baby milk to others.

maybe its a Marmite thing, love it or hate it.

welsh dragon

I couldn't really describe it either Simon, to me its not a nice perfume like from say a Rose , but neither is it a cat pee smell ....well maybe nearer to that than a Rose :smile:

If you ride bridleways through it, it's quite overpowering, I found this description in a search....

In the 1970s, oilseed rape was barely known in Britain. Many people were suspicious of this alien seed which announces itself with its all-pervasive perfume, reminiscent of honey to some, cloyingly sweet and as sickly as regurgitated baby milk to others.

maybe its a Marmite thing, love it or hate it.

Sounds rather like ewww. I'll stick to, sheep poo

Top Bottom