My son writes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Here's a missive from Rob - my son, who is doing a bit of a tour. Anyone got any advice on these places he mentions? I know nothing!
Pete and I are in the main square, which is the main attraction in Cusco. Going to have a tasty meal with lots of carbs right now to get my strength up for the trail which begins tomorrow.

We had our briefing with the tour guide yesterday and met the group of people we will be doing the Lares trek with - we will be in the company of 2 guides, 3 horse men and 3 llamas (to carry our Duffle Bags). Along the way we get to meet local peoples, mainly farmers, we were told that given that most of these communities live way below the poverty line - we should take food and presents for the children along the way - they speak an ancient Inca language, not Spanish - so it is a pretty far out thing to be doing. We can look forward to the 30C Hot Spring at the end.

Our co-trek crew have a good ten years on me and Pete each - hopefully we will outrage them with our racy anecdotes round the campfire. The trek is hard - 4 Days, 2 Days of Camping - 6 hours trekking day 1 tomorrow followed by 9 hours the next day. The altitude here makes it feel like you are walking around with a brick on your chest. Even on a flat road. Wish me luck!

We have hashed out some sort of plan over the next month involving La Paz in Bolivia, Lake Titicaca, Puno and Ariquipe. We look to be in Brazil by mid to late October and BA for a week mid way though november - exciting time ahead.
Thanks.:biggrin:

yenrod

I wish your son all the best Ap'.

I'm sure he's having a great time.! :tongue:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It sounds like a great experience for him. My niece recently came back from Bolivia and said she found it the best of SA countries. My son spent 6 months in Brazil and had a wonderful time, friendly people and bland food! I can get him an invite to meet the lovely Luiza if he's going to Rio!:biggrin:

ChrisKH

Guru
rich p said:
It sounds like a great experience for him. My niece recently came back from Bolivia and said she found it the best of SA countries. My son spent 6 months in Brazil and had a wonderful time, friendly people and bland food! I can get him an invite to meet the lovely Luiza if he's going to Rio!:p

I think a lot of people would pay for that. :biggrin:

Maz

Guru
"BA" is, of course, Buenos Aires. I hope your son has a great time out there, Aperitif. Sounds like a fantastic adventure.

I can only help with one or two Spanish sentences:

Espera un momento. He tenido un pinchazo!
Hold on a sec. I've had a puncture!

Estoy muy cansado ¿Puedo montar la llama en vez de la bicicleta?
I'm really tired. Can I ride on the llama instead of the bike?

U

User482

Aperitif, I suggest you read "The Motorcycle Diaries" as Che Guavera visited many of the places you mention.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
ChrisKH said:
I think a lot of people would pay for that. :blush:

Start the bidding!:biggrin:

Did I ever mention her 2 sisters?

La Paz in Bolivia, Lake Titicaca, Puno and Ariquipe.

I have been to all of these places, but it was 10 years ago now, so it's probably changed a lot. What I can remember is:

La Paz: If he's arriving by plane beware of being ripped off at the airport by taxi drivers who frog march you to their cab and hike the price 10x when you're in it. We stayed at a place called 'Hostel Rosario' which was excellent. La Paz really really smells bad. Car park stairways smell nice by comparison. Everyone we met there was v nice and helpful, if you spoke a bit of spanish to them. The markets are good value, but be prepared to bargain and play your cards close to your chest if you are. The altitude sickness hits you straight away and is very rough. Drink lots of coca tea.

Lake Titicaca: Bloody big lake. Well worth taking a boat trip - we didn't do this because of time, and regretted it. Eat some trout from there, it's very nice.

Puno: A bit of a shithole because it's basically a big railway junction. Have a chat to some of the travel agents there (in spanish, if you can), because they can help you with onward travel and are generally dead nice. Can't remember where we stayed but it was OK. It is at the border with Bolivia. There is one hour time difference, but this is not announced anywhere. So they shoudl put their watched back one hour if travelling there from La Paz. We turned up one hour early for the train to cusco because of this!

Arrequipa: In the middle of the desert, with a bloody big volcano overlooking it. Can trek to the top of this if they want. Proper spanish colonial town, with a really interesting monastery and church, which are worth the visit.

That's all I can remember!

Thanks so far everyone - yes I'm jealous too...Great info Kirstie - can't be worse than Southampton Uni can it? :blush:
The lovely Luisa! What an idea, although on Sunday we met the lovely Lucy - see photo. He says they are 'splitting up' for the duration of his tour - nutter
The Motorcycle Diaries is also a good idea as I need a read - ta User482.
I'll relate some of his more scandalous adventures as he goes along...:biggrin:
34orj3p.jpg

rich p

ridiculous old lush
We have a spare bedroom now if Lucy is at a loose end!

Are you sure he's your son Ape, he's a good looking lad and has a full head of hair:evil:

cchapman

The only advice I can offer is what my father told me when I was doing similar travelling many years ago. Be open and honest and friendly, if someone wants to talk to you take up the oportunity, don't have an attitude. And when you come home you may be changed by the experience, but after the initial welcome, people really don't want to know - they have their own problems.

domtyler

Über Member
Kirstie said:
I can't think of anywhere in this country that smells worse than La Paz...

I have a feeling that could change were you to ever go anywhere near one of Rich P's undergarments! :blush:

Top Bottom