nasa tv

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr Mag00

rising member
currently a full length space walk repairing hubble space telescope. amazing to watch and think they are up there at the moment flying through space at 18000+ miles per hour.

here

johnnyh

Veteran
it is amazing footage...

would be comedy if they were working away and found Hubble needed imperial spanners and they only had metric :ohmy:

Rob S

They're still at it.....don't they realise the second semi of the Eurovision Song Contest has started!!??

Shaun

Founder
Shows how far we've come ... I remember dashing home for lunch from school to watch the first ever shuttle launch.

It was delayed and I refused to go back to school (2 mins from my house) until I'd seem the launch.

My mum went mental, and then resigned herself to the fact that I wasn't going anywhere until I'd seen those SRB's ejected. :laugh:

A few years on and we can watch it all live on the net ... frippin mervelos!!! :smile:

Cheers,
Shaun :ohmy:

Rob S

Admin said:
Shows how far we've come ... I remember dashing home for lunch from school to watch the first ever shuttle launch.
-
-
-
A few years on an we can watch it all live on the net ... frippin mervelos!!! :smile:

Cheers,
Shaun :laugh:

I watched the first one live too...at junior school.

You can still watch launches live on Sky News...but there's something about that that makes me think they only do it to be there if it all goes wrong:wacko:

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Interesting photo on the Astronomy Picture of the Day site today of the Hubble telescope and the Atlantis shuttle.

astropix.html

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

How do you post a picture? I clicked Insert Image and entered the URL but all I got was this lousy T-shirt the box with a red cross in it.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Admin said:

I didn't know people who were that old still walked amongst us! (Says someone who remembers running home from school to see Apollo 8's first ever circuit of the moon!)

zacklaws

Guru
Makes me feel old too. I must have gone to a posh school as we had a TV to watch there and used to watch anything with the Apollo missions. Classes were put on hold the day they stepped out on the moon for the first time as we all sat in the school library watching it.

PaulB

Legendary Member
zacklaws said:
Makes me feel old too. I must have gone to a posh school as we had a TV to watch there and used to watch anything with the Apollo missions. Classes were put on hold the day they stepped out on the moon for the first time as we all sat in the school library watching it.

You couldn't have been at school in Britain then as the landing was about 11pm on a Friday night.

zacklaws

Guru
Yes your right now you mention it, teachers must have conned us and we must have been watching highlights. Must have been there ploy to keep us in and stop us swinging in the bike sheds which we would always get a bollocking for.

It should also have been summer holidays or maybe they had just finished so maybe it was one of the later missions, but my memory recalls as clear as the day it happened that it was Apollo 11.

The landing itself was on a Sunday night, just after 2000 and the EVA about 6 hours later on the Monday morning

What surprised me most is just how long the Hubble has been there after the 'Wow' of the first photos it took, and still continues to take. 20 years, I feel old.
I remember sitting in the school hall with loads of others waiting for the very first shuttle launch. We were sent back to classes after it was evident the first launch as abandoned

PaulB

Legendary Member
zacklaws said:
The landing itself was on a Sunday night, just after 2000 and the EVA about 6 hours later on the Monday morning

I wondered about this but my memory on this sort of thing is usually strong so I have just checked and the day was, as I wrote earlier, a Friday. I have specific reasons for remembering this.

Top Bottom